repeating accelerated subject (1 Viewer)

i-insomnia

HSC
So I'm meant to do the Chemistry HSC this year ie. in a few weeks as an accelerated student. However, I was thinking whether it would be better for me to just repeat the HSC course and do it in 2012 with the rest of my subjects.

My rank is 59/91 , which isn't all that great, in a top 15 school.
My course mark approximately averages at about 75ish.
Is it even possible for me to get a good HSC mark (overall)? like ... 90+ or is that just me being delusional.

Apparently, last year only 20 people got band 6's ... I honestly don't know how legit that is.. as the last year's cohort was pretty smart, I reckon. This year should be smart too, but i have doubts about my own cohort (2012) ...

What should I do? D:

Deep Blue

HSC
Mate, I do accelerated maths and from the amount of work I know I have put in this year there would be no way I would repeat the course no regardless of what marks I got. If you are in a top 15 school your rank is pretty good especially if you are accelerated and remember that your cohorts marks should pull you up as well. I believe it is definitely possible for you to still get a band 6. And remember, even if you don't, you are going to have less subjects to study next year, and so you will have the chance to make up for a bad mark you receive with the extra time you can put in. In summary, don't repeated, you'll most likely just get bored and the chances are you won't do a great deal better than you did the previous year.

i-insomnia

HSC
I know, i really don't want to repeat either, but it would suck if my marks don't end up to be that great.
I accelerate maths as well.

I don't know, this is why I can't make up my mind. :(

NubMuncher

HSC
Do the exam and wait till you get your marks back to decide. With sciences, you usually end up doing better than you think because of the beast aligning that it undergoes! Talk to your school and let them know its a possibility. Someone at our school did that and just picked up the subject at the beginning of the new year.

And to be honest, unless you get below band 5 its really unnecessary to repeat a subject; you can make up for it in your other subjects that you will have more time to study for!!

Corvid

HSC
N/A
Maybe you could try one of those super-subjects like cosmology, philosophy and comp literature? They scale pretty well. Just a suggestion

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
What were these subjects? @jimmysmith560
image.png

Cosmology, Philosophy and Comparative Literature were subjects that were known as distinction courses and made up an advanced placement program. They were designed to be taken by HSC students who have accelerated at least one subject. From what I have observed, they were delivered via distance education and were directly administered by BOSTES (which is what NESA was formerly known as). These subjects were discontinued after the 2010 HSC.

Students interested needed to complete an application form demonstrating their academic success and required a recommendation from their school principal. Applications would then be reviewed by an independent panel.

Check out the following past exam papers from each subject:

chilli 412

oo la la
HSC
View attachment 36932

Cosmology, Philosophy and Comparative Literature were subjects that were known as distinction courses and made up an advanced placement program. They were designed to be taken by HSC students who have accelerated at least one subject. From what I have observed, they were delivered via distance education and were directly administered by BOSTES (which is what NESA was formerly known as). These subjects were discontinued after the 2010 HSC.

Students interested needed to complete an application form demonstrating their academic success and required a recommendation from their school principal. Applications would then be reviewed by an independent panel.

the philosophy exam seems very interesting, would be a strange one to study for

carrotsss

HSC
View attachment 36932

That cosmology course looks so cool, damn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)