Related Texts needed for Henry Lawson short stories. Please help! (1 Viewer)

mle_

HSC
Hi everyone! Do you have any ideas for related text for any of these Henry Lawson short stories?:
  • The Drovers Wife
  • In a Dry Season
  • The Loaded Dog
  • Joe Wilsons Courtship
If you haven't read any of these stories, most of the themes are; the role of men and women, division in society, conflict, etc.
I'm really lost and would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks guys!

cloud watcher

HSC
hey
my related text is this poem called the bunyip and the whistling kettle by J.S Manifold... i found it on the net ... i got the top mark for my essay in the half yearlies an 18/20 using
it :) so i think is pretty good... there are loads of other texts out there aswell so i would just look around :)

i hope that helped

HSC
N/A
Most of the questions for Distinctively Visual are about the ways in which composers take us to other worlds/new experiences or challenge us/develop our thinking about experiences using distinctively visual techniques. The related texts you choose do not have to be about the same ideas/experiences as your prescribed text-i.e. 19th century rural Australia-but they should have some depth to them that you can discuss regarding their ideas and the visual ways that those ideas are shown to responders. If you feel more comfortable choosing Australian texts set in that period then poems by AB Paterson might help-"Man from Snowy River", "Ballad of the Drover" etc. Films about Australia from the past include "Australia" (Kidman, Jackman) and "My Brilliant Career".

There are some excellent picture books which depict conflict/division in society, like Marsden/Tan's "The Rabbits" and a terrific new one based on the song, "I was only 19" which allow you to analyse a few openings, looking at colour, size, perspective, salient features, expressions/body language. A poem by Bruce Dawe (contemporary Aussie poet) called "Up the Wall" talks about loneliness and isolation for the modern Australian housewife and there are several good poems about drought in the Australian outback. "Crocodile Dundee" gives us the type of character that Lawson is talking about in some of his stories-tough, slow speaking, good sense of humour, resilient that you could link to Lawson. Choose a couple of scenes to examine in detail-the way camera shots, music, lighting, editing and any other distinctive/special features help to demonstrate the experiences of the main character which support the ways in which Lawson demonstrates his characters and ideas. Hope this starts you thinking about a few texts of your own. All the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)