Recording Audio Poetry (1 Viewer)

steffo

steph
HSC
for anyone doing performance poetry, or any other audio medium, how are you approaching recording?
perf poets- are u using music? any certain programs?
i havent finished my MW but im worried that i'm going to screw myself up if i wait too long with working out recording. ive never recorded anything like this before.

dark*sparkle

Fabulous Member
HSC
i'm doing perf poetry as well and i was told that the music department in the school could probably help you record your piece, but i haven't really given it much thought yet.

i'm surprised someone else i doing performance actually it doesnt seem to be very popular. how much have you done because i think ive done about 40 words out of the 3000 or something we have to do

steffo

steph
HSC
its not words is it? isnt it time limit?
im not thinking about it as word limit. im using time as a guide and just trying tow rite as much as i can and fit it together logically.

keep posting on here coz its good to have someone who's doing perf poetry to chat to!

yeh i've written a few individual poems, with different themes, im trying to work out an audio way (music or soundeffects or something) perhaps to link it all. i want it to flow, but i am focusing on pop culture and want to get the feeling of randomness, and inclusion of everything. since pop culture is all around us etc.

what are your themes and stuff?

dark*sparkle

Fabulous Member
HSC
well i was told that its 5000 words all together including reflection statement and poem... but then again i could be wrong

pop culture sounds pretty interesting, i'm doing comsumerism which is pretty similiar but like u i've only written a few bits and pieces... which really don't seem to interlink

but anyway, theres this ext. 2 workshop at newtown on the 22nd i think, you going? its supposed to really inspire and help with the mw

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
dark*sparkle said:
well i was told that its 5000 words all together including reflection statement and poem... but then again i could be wrong

syllabus states:

-The tape should have a playing time of 8-10 minutes' duration

-The tape may include music and/or sound effects, which will not be included in the running time

5000 words including refelction statement is for poetry... not performance poetry.. they are completely different and they each have their own syllabus requirements...

i presume that audio poetry goes under performance poetry not quite sure...

Last edited:

steffo

steph
HSC
physician said:
syllabus states:

-The tape should have a playing time of 8-10 minutes' duration

-The tape may include music and/or sound effects, which will not be included in the running time

5000 words including refelction statement is for poetry... not performance poetry.. they are completely different and they each have their own syllabus requirements...

i presume that audio poetry goes under performance poetry not quite sure...
yes i emailed BOS and that's correct. its audio, not poetry. it is a time limit. thanks for confirmation.

steffo

steph
HSC
dark*sparkle said:

pop culture sounds pretty interesting, i'm doing comsumerism which is pretty similiar but like u i've only written a few bits and pieces... which really don't seem to interlink

but anyway, theres this ext. 2 workshop at newtown on the 22nd i think, you going? its supposed to really inspire and help with the mw

we've had a few messages about workshops. i dont think many of them are much good, esp not for this medium.
i have midcourses so soon as well, we're not allowed to go on excursions at all a week before they start.
if u go, post about it. tell me how it went. that would be good if u could :)

dark*sparkle

Fabulous Member
HSC
sure steffo, ill let you know, but not really looking forward to it to tell you the truth... but my whole class is going so i thought why not

i guess my teacher didn't really know much about the medium in terms of word/time limits, so thanks physician... it seems much easier this way

Igor

HSC
N/A
hey cool
I'm doing perf poetry as well, more slamming that deep and meaningful stuff.

all about current events, social disatisfaction and the lack of pride in society that's becoming more and more evident.

steffo, i see your from Newie, and MHS! I used to go there-- long saga attached.

Do you know Penelope Sherrell?
[[ I know most of this is spam but MAHH]]

steffo

steph
HSC
Igor said:
hey cool
I'm doing perf poetry as well, more slamming that deep and meaningful stuff.

all about current events, social disatisfaction and the lack of pride in society that's becoming more and more evident.

steffo, i see your from Newie, and MHS! I used to go there-- long saga attached.

Do you know Penelope Sherrell?
[[ I know most of this is spam but MAHH]]
yeh im at MHS. i dont know if penelope still goes to my school does she? or am i just absurdly self absorbed i do not notice?

it seems that the perf poetry subject matter is really current event/current context focused- which is logical because of the medium and the context is was born into.
have you seen livepoets.com? amaaaazing poetry slams there. buddy wakefield to name one. he's a slam champion in the US. there are a number of US sites with recordings and videos which are really inspiring.

who are i igor? were u in my year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)