Reading time (1 Viewer)

RtX

HSC
You know how they usually give you 5-10 minutes reading time.
What should you ACTUALLY be doing during this time?
I had my trial School Certificate today, and I barely studied. The point is, when they gave us reading time, instead of reading everything, i went ahead and did questions. But didnt write them down, just remembered them. I found this saved me alot of time later, as i had already done the questions i knew straight away. And the harder ones i was doing for the rest of the time we had for the trial.

What should i Really do? Or should i keep doing this?

P

pLuvia

hmm.. reading time they won't allow students to start the actual exam, it's used so the students can read the passages and stories just to save time. I remember that they definately said not to pick up pens and start writing before the reading time, so i think your quite lucky

but honestly, just start the test if your allowed, my tutor once told me that there's no point in reading the story or passage because you are going to read it again away, so it's better just to look at the question and find it in the passage/story, that usually works for me~:D

P

pLuvia

unless you're a fast reader than use the time to read, either than that don't bother look through the questions and start memorising the answers as you are doing anyway

RtX

HSC
Yeah, i just start reading through the questions and then searching the passages while in reading time, then memorize the answer and then move on til we can write.

P

pLuvia

yeh, that it is a good idea imo, but different people do different things, but i'm trying not to do this, not to create a habit of this..

P

pLuvia

like, reading the passage first would give a more clear understanding of the story/passage, context, and helps to not waste time on just looking at the passage then looking at the answer continuously, it wastes time imo, so im TRYING not to do it, but it still gets me to the end with some time left to spare, so just try using the reading time to actually read, especially in english lol

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
The reading time is... reading time. If you can read it over and do questions in your head, go for it. If you can't, hey, it's an extra 5 minutes for the exam.

I_F

klaw

HSC
I look at the extended response Qs and think of ideas. Then I read over the comprehension questions, then comprehension articles, and figure out the answer in my head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)