radioisotopes (1 Viewer)

Bdogz

HSC
N/A
y do sum radioactive materials such as iodine only accumulate in specific oragns such as the thyroid gland?

adamcg

HSC
y do sum radioactive materials such as iodine only accumulate in specific oragns such as the thyroid gland?
I don't know about iodine, but i know that some radioisotopes can be chemically bonded to proteins and other substances that find their way around the body independently.

ps, may i recommend the medical radioisotope technetium 99m, its the easiest to find info about and has basic properties but has a lot of good stuff to talk about. XD

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yeah i don't know either.

Oh and sorry to hiijack the thread, but i was just wondering if the engineering use we need to know is the same as an industrial use. I'm just a bit confused because a few books have both :/

Bdogz

HSC
N/A
Yeah i don't know either.

Oh and sorry to hiijack the thread, but i was just wondering if the engineering use we need to know is the same as an industrial use. I'm just a bit confused because a few books have both :/
lol i think engineering and industrial uses are different: in eng radiation is used to detect cracks in materials, industrial: beta or alpha particles are used to control thickness of paper

boxhunter91

HSC
Industry you can talk about Americium-241 used in smoke detectors because of its long half life. I industry and engineering are the same actually. The dotpoint says medicine agriculture and engineering.

Bdogz

HSC
N/A
Industry you can talk about Americium-241 used in smoke detectors because of its long half life. I industry and engineering are the same actually. The dotpoint says medicine agriculture and engineering.
yes thats it i was getting confused with agriculture sorry

MrMMMan

HSC
Thyroid gland specifically uses iodine for contolling the body. Infact if you lack iodine in your diet it swells significantly (goitre). This is why iodine isotopes are taken to thyroid gland.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)