Radio announced some HSC results stats (1 Viewer)

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
well the announcer said they were hsc results
i thought they'd be skool certificate coz its hard to imagine only a few % of ppl failed.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
The radio guy could get things wrong...

On the other hand they could take <50 UAI as fail while most people get clumped @ above 60. 50's probably around 2 s.d.'s away from 66 (yes, I know UAI isn't done that way but anyhow...) which makes it around 5%.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Bambul
Well lets see, in 1998 the marks in 2unit subjects like English were always scaled to an average of 60. Now all the BoS has to do is not scale the average at all and give everyone higher marks, et voila! Now you have fewer people getting below 50. So by mearly changing the average, you can prove that todays students are clearly better than yesteryears!
traffic!
this is clearly untrue ... its just like saying okay class ... since you all got 4 / 10 for the exam and should fail ... ill make an exception and give 8 / 10 ... and next year the class all gets 7 / 10 and the teacher does not change the marks ... does that mean the year before was better because they got 8 / 10 ...

bex

HSC
I'm hoping entirely out of self-service and selfishness that i see a headlines saying like "DUMBEST YEAR... EVER!!!"
me too steve me too!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by SkAnDi
I'm hoping entirely out of self-service and selfishness that i see a headlines saying like

"DUMBEST YEAR... EVER!!!"
... if only ... but thats not possible and wouldnt affect much anyway ...

Sarah J

HSC
I thought it wasn't possible to get less than 50.........???

hmmm.... maybe I should learn to pay attention ;)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i think its still possible to get below 50 altho it would be very difficult ... the board did so because 50 was perceived as a passing mark which they believed most people deserved ...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Bon
I thought we could access them at 6am ?
i think so ...

apparently some people are going to hack the site or somethin ... so they might there uai earlier ...

edit: this is just a rumor ...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Essentially, you'll get an aligned mark of 50 if you make a serious attempt. There were essays in the standards package less than a page long that were considered borderline band 1/band 2.

Last year, we could get our HSC results online at 4am and our UAIs at 7am.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Bon
haha, that's cool, I've been up 'till 4am lately, so I'll just stay up, then go to bed just before my parents do and sleep most of the day, that way I won't have to bother with annoying phone calls, etc. :p
thats a good idea ... and then a day later ... you ring someone who has everybodies marks and ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by !meeee!
i'm going to be out of sydney when they come out so if they're terrible i'll just stay away forever... or at least that's the plan :)
good idea:gridnod:

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Besides, in light of this thread, I think the results heard were for the yr 10 school certificate not the HSC.

B

Bambul

Originally posted by flyin'

this is clearly untrue ... its just like saying okay class ... since you all got 4 / 10 for the exam and should fail ... ill make an exception and give 8 / 10 ... and next year the class all gets 7 / 10 and the teacher does not change the marks ... does that mean the year before was better because they got 8 / 10 ...
You confused me for a while because you used the opposite example that I did, probably because you didn't realise that I was being sarcastic.

In a single class it is likely that one class is going to be better/worse than the previous years. But when you are comparing 60,000 students the quality of the candidature does not change much from year to year, so scaling marks to a common average to allow comparison between years is, IMO, a better alternative than marking on the difficulty of the exam, so that years in which there is an easy exam get higher marks makes it look as though students did better in that subject that year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)