Questions and discussion - WWI Revision: (1 Viewer)

Ruby Rose

HSC
----WWI-----
5 changes to women's roles that occurred in the war and carried through until afterward (inc. stats or quotes).

----Germany----
10 reasons for the failure of the Weimar Republic (again inc. stats or quotes)

Min's reply:
WW1

- Women began working as clerks, bus conductors and police WOMEN. Jobs traditionally filled by men.
- Women above the age of 30 received vote in 1918 in Britain.
- Skirts became shorter
- Divorce rate rose by 300%
- Increase of independence led women to leave home

Germany

- The combination of the three democratic parties led to disagreement.
- The arrival of The Great Depression
- Hyperinflation of the German Mark had citizens questioning their government.
- The civil service, judiciary and education system was controlled by supporters of the Old Germany
- The elites (Army, landowners and aristocracy) opposed Weimar government
- The Republic was associated with the Treaty of Versailles
- Unemployment had reached 6 million
- "How was it that a modern, advanced, cultured society can so rapidly sink into barbarity?" - Kershaw
- The governments request for resistance to be removed from the Ruhr made people angry - they felt like they were being cheated.

I can't think of a 10th one.

jellybelly59

HSC
-'The treaty [of versailles] allowed no opportunity for economic rehabilitation of europe' Economist keynes
- the constitution was flawed with proportional representation, unbalance between the houses, too democratic and liberal and article 48.

kelllly

HSC
Additional reasons for the failure of the Weimar Republic:

- The inability of the government to deal with the Stab in the Back myth
- Putsches (right-wing: Munich & Kapp + left-wing: Spartacists)
- The appointment of Hindenburg as president

Domini

HSC
Expanding on another reason for Weimar downfall:

- Putsches (Kapp+Spartacists as mentioned above) were an expression of opposition to democratic system: In a functioning democracy, ALL parties must support the system (democracy). In Weimar 'Opposition' parties came to mean opposition to the system not the specific government in power.

Last edited:

Domini

HSC
Question:

The textbook says that the Democratic Republic was created and THEN the Kaiser was forced to abdicate. Wouldn't his position have been destroyed when the Republic was created anyway? Also, what was the significance of the 1918-1919 Revolution (beginning with the Kiel Mutiny)? How much did this contribute to Germany becoming a Republic? It was my understanding that the Allies wouldn't negotiate with Germany until it embraced democracy, so was this the defining factor or did the Revolution play a big role in the decision too?

I am confused...

(Just realised this is a WWI thread and I am talking about Germany....woops, will post on other thread.)

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Question:

The textbook says that the Democratic Republic was created and THEN the Kaiser was forced to abdicate. Wouldn't his position have been destroyed when the Republic was created anyway? Also, what was the significance of the 1918-1919 Revolution (beginning with the Kiel Mutiny)? How much did this contribute to Germany becoming a Republic? It was my understanding that the Allies wouldn't negotiate with Germany until it embraced democracy, so was this the defining factor or did the Revolution play a big role in the decision too?

I am confused...

(Just realised this is a WWI thread and I am talking about Germany....woops, will post on other thread.)
This is one of the overlaps between end of WWI and Germany so it is right whereever you put it.

The allies wouldn't deal with the Kaiser's government so he had to go. The advisers were telling him this when Scheidemann unilaterally announced the republic effectively ending the empire but the Kaiser still officially abdicated anyway. This is the 8th/9th November so is before the end of WWI.

Domini

HSC
Thanks for the response Cem. Very helpful.

I have another question if anyone is up for answering! Once and for all, was it Petain or Nivelle who said the famous line "They shall not pass" concerning Verdun?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Thanks for the response Cem. Very helpful.

I have another question if anyone is up for answering! Once and for all, was it Petain or Nivelle who said the famous line "They shall not pass" concerning Verdun?
Petain :)

Germans were lead by General Falkenhayn while French were led by General Petain a the Battle of Verdun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)