question (1 Viewer)

padutz

HSC
whats the difference between relative and absolute referencing?
thanks

HSC
absolute cell referencing is when you use $ around your cell reference so when you drag it down it doesnt change (eg. $C$2 * C2)

relative cell referencing is just using a normal cell reference so when you drag it down, it increments by 1 on each row thats passed

the characteristics you'll see with relative cell referencing is that if you change 1 cell it wont change a great deal (only 1) for relative cell referencing ,whereas if you change 1 cell in a absolute referencing it'll change all the cells that are absolute referenced

one example is if you got a spreadsheet with your pay rate in an absolute cell reference (eg. $C$1) if you got 10 days of work all calculating your pay from that C1 cell with your pay rate, then you go chance it, those 10 days of work (that times your pay rate by hours) will also change, a MC question similar to my example has been asked so be on a lookout if they do that

they'll also most likely ask you to write a cell reference in a spreadsheet example, i guess ive explained that as well

good luck in your VET IT exam 6 days to go :D

padutz

HSC
Casmira said:
absolute cell referencing is when you use $ around your cell reference so when you drag it down it doesnt change (eg. $C$2 * C2)

relative cell referencing is just using a normal cell reference so when you drag it down, it increments by 1 on each row thats passed

the characteristics you'll see with relative cell referencing is that if you change 1 cell it wont change a great deal (only 1) for relative cell referencing ,whereas if you change 1 cell in a absolute referencing it'll change all the cells that are absolute referenced

one example is if you got a spreadsheet with your pay rate in an absolute cell reference (eg. $C$1) if you got 10 days of work all calculating your pay from that C1 cell with your pay rate, then you go chance it, those 10 days of work (that times your pay rate by hours) will also change, a MC question similar to my example has been asked so be on a lookout if they do that

they'll also most likely ask you to write a cell reference in a spreadsheet example, i guess ive explained that as well

good luck in your VET IT exam 6 days to go :D
thanks mate, appreciated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)