Question re: UNSW's B Arts... (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
Hi there. For some reason I just can't get my head around this...

In the 'Virtual Handbook', the BA listing http://www.unsw.edu.au/virtualHandbook/programs/3400.html, point two of 'Programme Structure' says:

2. 48 units of credit obtained in Level 1 courses ie courses designed for students in their first year of study. Of these, no more than 12 can be in any one school or department. 24 units of credit must be obtained from courses offered specifically by the Faculty.
I'd like to do a French major sequence, plus other subjects from German Studies and Linguistics (all List A according tot he site). Does the above mean that I can't study, at the same time, these subjects because this maxes out the number of units I can do in the 'one school or department', as they are all in the same 'school'? Or I am allowed to study all three, because they are different 'departments'?

Also, it says:
7. during their second and third years of study, students are also required to complete 12 units of credit from the University's General Education program. These courses are part of the requirements for the degree and do not incur an additional HECS or fee obligation.
What is General Education? Hehe.... I can't find anything describing it on the site...

Many cheers for your help!
chepas :D.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
chepas, you can study 2 languages at the same time. i know some girls doing french and spanish for both semesters. as for doing linguistics as well, i'm not sure

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Yeah but then that would be 24 units from the one school (assuming they're all level 1)

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
it's allowed though. i was reading this thing in the morven brown building today which says you can do another language at level one.

it would be a big workload though. beginners courses are 6 hrs each a week, intermediate and onwards 5 hrs a week, compared to 3 hrs a week with most other courses.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
hehe that's ok

you doing a BA too?

chepas

HSC
mic said:
it's allowed though. i was reading this thing in the morven brown building today which says you can do another language at level one.

it would be a big workload though. beginners courses are 6 hrs each a week, intermediate and onwards 5 hrs a week, compared to 3 hrs a week with most other courses.
Ah k? Would it be that, the second language would just not be counted towards the 44 units for level one, and be something extra (like doing 12/13 units in the HSC)? And then in upper levels it would be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)