Question concerning math major and computer science (degree related) (1 Viewer)

Orphen89

HSC
Basically, for my degree I'd like to double major in Applied and Computational Mathematics. However I am unsure what I should add to my degree from here - at the moment, I have a few extra units to add to it, but I don't know whether I should add some Computer Science units to it so that I can get a Double Major in Applied and Computational Maths and have a Computer Science Minor, or if I should add more Applied Mathematics units so that I can have a better mathematics major.

Initially, I wanted to have a CS minor, however there are a few Applied Mathematics unit I will be missing out on if I do get one e.g. Fluid Dynamics, Mathematics in Finance (in case I want to go into banking/economics later), and Real Analysis (which I heard is an important unit in any math major).

What would be better, and what would employers prefer in a degree? A double major in maths and a minor in CS, or only a double major in maths but with extra units? Also, will the Computational math major cover most of what is required for a minor in Computer Science?
(I don't know if this is important, but I do intend on doing a graduate degree once I've finished my bachelors)

Thanks in advance.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
at the end of the day, employers don't care that much about what electives you chose. a degree doesn't really equip you with knowledge for a job. What it does do is provide some background information and develops your thinking, problem solving and communication skills.

so just follow your interests :)

having completed first year, do you have any idea whether you prefer maths or computing?

Orphen89

HSC
at the end of the day, employers don't care that much about what electives you chose. a degree doesn't really equip you with knowledge for a job. What it does do is provide some background information and develops your thinking, problem solving and communication skills.

so just follow your interests :)

having completed first year, do you have any idea whether you prefer maths or computing?
Thanks for the reply. I definitely prefer maths - it's the one subject I both enjoy and can get good grades in with minimal effort :)

The main reason I'm unsure what to do with my degree is that I'm afraid I might miss out on important programming information if I don't do the CS electives, especially because I've just started learning java etc. On the other hand, if I don't do the Applied Mathematics units, I miss out on Fluid Dynamics and Real Analysis (both of which are considered quite important). In addition to this, by not doing these units I may also miss out on doing some units for my postgrad degree, so overall I'm quite conflicted about this choice. But I guess it is good to know that employers don't care much about the electives you choose...

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
yeah especially if you're doing postgrad. just make sure you're fulfilling all the requirements to get into it, cos i have no idea how postgrad works

enjoy the rest of your holidays! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)