QUANTA TO QUARKS-how did Bohr refined rutherfords model?? (1 Viewer)

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
he imposed his postulates on it (in a nutshell)

ok good.......so ur talking about t 3 postulates about electrons occupying certain allowed orbits.......angular momentum is quantised and that when an electron falls from one state ot another it radiates energy that is quantised??
is that correcT??

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by dnt stop runnin
ok good.......so ur talking about t 3 postulates about electrons occupying certain allowed orbits.......angular momentum is quantised and that when an electron falls from one state ot another it radiates energy that is quantised??
is that correcT??
yeah, c, basically rutherford model was inadequate coz it didn't explain the way electrons were aranged....so bohr by his postulates "refined" rutherford's model. :)

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
although for the question i think it said compare so you probably had to point out similarities...like bohr kept rutherford's notion of a densely packed nucleus etc;

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by walla
although for the question i think it said compare so you probably had to point out similarities...like bohr kept rutherford's notion of a densely packed nucleus etc;
did it say compare??? :eek:

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
dunno, probably not :)
i only have a vague recollection of that middle section

edit: silly me this is the option!

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
Originally posted by freaking_out
yeah, c, basically rutherford model was inadequate coz it didn't explain the way electrons were aranged....so bohr by his postulates "refined" rutherford's model. :)
Actually, he did say that they orbited the nucleus, but didn't explain how. If electrons orbited the nucleus like planets around the sun, they must be constantly accelerating (thereby constantly emitting energy). Therefore after some time they should lose all their energy and crash into the nucleus.

Bohr explained this with his second postulate (2nd according to Excel, 3rd according to others), with his stationary states.

A nice website I just found is:
http://www.crocodile-clips.com/absorb/AC4/sample/LR301.html

I wish I had known about that site before, it's awesome.

Bannanafish

HSC
bohr knew about spectral lines and stuff
he knew rutherfords model didn't address electrons

when he saw balmers equation it made everything clear to him

then blablabal

Kent_Cadarn

Rutherford's had electrons circling a nucleus, but this requires them to emit energy and therefore should spiral inot the nucleus and collide with it due to electrostatic attraction. Rutherford could not explain this.
Bohr's postulates, his second namely said that electrons existed in stable orbit in which no energy is given off. Though Bohr did not explain this it is certainly an improvement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)