Quanta and the UV Catastrophe (1 Viewer)

blackmagic219

How is it that planks qunata idea explained the ultra violent catastrophe? ? ?
and would i need to know that???

JayWalker

HSC
blaqmagic219 said:
How is it that planks qunata idea explained the ultra violent catastrophe? ? ?
and would i need to know that???
Because he proposed the idea that energy was only given in discreet packets aka Quanta's.. This means that the blackbody [which absorbs energy at wavelengths which are not observed to come out, they thought it had infinite energy, which was impossible.] This idea of quantised energy allowed him to explain how the energy comes out.

The energy comes in at one wavelength, and emit at other wavelengths but the total energy remained the same. This would only be possible if the energy was quantised..

Thats ok?

blackmagic219

which absorbs energy at wavelengths which are not observed to come out???
wahhh????
try and untextbook-a-size it if you can.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The ultraviolet catastrophe was that the more energy was emitted at shorter wavelengths.

Ie it looked like y=a/x for y=radiance and x=wavelength.

As shorter wavelengths have more energy it lead to a problem of infinite energy.

The classical model couldnt explain the bellcurve shape that was observed.

The quantised energy however could.

DavidB

what plank done was explain the black body radiation curve, because at the time many scientists couldnt.

What he said was that, the energy raditated (or absorbed) by a black body was not continuous ("radom"), as classical phys suggested but rather is absorbed in packets of energy called Photons.

the curve shows that with increasing energy wavelength is smaller ( and hence frequency is larger). He said this was the case because electrons sit in discrete energy levels, and as they absorbed heat...they would move up an the energy levels (inside the atom) proportional to the amount of heat absorbed, then would fall back to their original state as they lost this energy.
This energy is lost as EMW, where change in energy levels is proportional to the frequency of the emitted wave.

thats wah he said.

i hope i answerd ur qn.

peace out...(im guna continue writing it...ahem ... MR EAZY)

JayWalker

HSC
blaqmagic219 said:
which absorbs energy at wavelengths which are not observed to come out???
wahhh????
try and untextbook-a-size it if you can.....
lol thats not textbook, thats my words

i dont know how to explain it, its likea piggy bank, you put in silver and gold coins, but you get bronze out.. :)

lol

fush

HSC
i rang the advice line, we dont need to know how quantised energy explained the experimental results, all we need to know is that Plancks idea on quantised energy was one way that helped to understand the results

the guy from the advice line said that the reason why is behond the HSC course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)