puzzled.. engineering?/science?? (1 Viewer)

dug

hi im really confused on deciding which engineering course to choose...
its either electrical or photovoltaics and solar energy....
and if i choose one of those course.. which science course should i choose??

any ideas would be appreciated!!
thanks
dug

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Photovoltaics is a good choice.

http://www.investorideas.com/Companies/ECON/News/Photovoltaics.asp

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2005/3642.html

As for science... what do you mean? You can do combined degrees, but that's not always an option nor feasible. You don't HAVE to do a combined degree.

In photovoltaics, there are streams: maths, physics, computing, et cetera, so a combined degree would fit in well, as you could drop the streams and do more subjects of your second major.

Why are you restricting yourself to EE and PV, though? Have you thought about things like Materials Science and Engineering or chemical engineering?

If you're looking at the money and research side of things, nanotechnology is becoming increasingly high-paying with many job opportunities. Furthermore, it will be the biggest industry in the world, eventually, and encompass EVERY industry you can imagine - from food to IT.

Along the same vein is biotechnology, which will be incorporated into nanotechnology, but is also a massive industry (and growing) by itself.

I'll be doing nanobiotechnology. :)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
*AHEM*

http://www.nanovip.com/what-is-nanotechnology/

There is something ultimate about Nanotechnology: matter is manipulated at its most elementary level, the atom. Nanotechnologies are a logical step, unavoidable in the course of human progress.

More than just progress in a narrow realm of technology, this represents the birth process of a new "age" as we harness Nanotechnology’s potential. The areas of potential applications are multiple; from powerful UV-blocking sunscreens to nano-robots designed to repair at the cellular level. Below is presented a non-exhaustive list of the principal domains which will be affected by developments in Nanotechnology:

-Materials: new materials, harder, more durable and resistant, lighter and less expensive.

-Electronics: electronic components will become smaller and smaller, allowing the design of more powerful computers.

-Energy: a vast increase in the potential of solar energy generation is envisioned, for example.

-Health and nanobiotechnologies: great expectations are held in the areas of prevention, diagnostics, and treatment. For example, nanoscopic probes could be put in place to measure our state of health around the clock, new tools could be developed to fight genetic disease at the level of the gene, and markers could be created to detect and, one by one, destroy cancerous cells, just to name a few of the many possibilities.

Developments in these domains would impact a broad range of industries, such as cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, consumer appliances, hygienics, construction, communication, security and safety, and space exploration. Our environment will benefit as well, in terms of clean, economical energy production, and the use of more environmentally friendly materials.

If brief, many areas of our daily lives will be affected in one way or another by the development of Nanotechnologies, because Nanotechnologies will permit us to do better, with less.
These sentiments are not new or radical. Every government around the world agrees, as does any scientist even remotely knowledgable on the area.

Much like the oils companies can't afford NOT to invest in photovoltaics, the chip makers can't afford NOT to invest in nanotechnology. What's more, they use teh same time lines, roughly.

Photovoltaics will be a massive industry and quite entrenched by 2020. Chip makers will no longer be able to go any further in chip production by 2020.

Why does that mean chip makers must invest in nanotech? Because currently chips are designed using a top-down approach. Grab a chunk of silicon, mould it to your needs. Make a chip atom by atom would increase the efficiency, capacity and speed of chips by many thousands of times at the least.

The US, Japan and Germany are the biggest funders of nanotech. It is a TRILLION dollar industry.

The University of Queensland has around $80 million in funding for nanotech and $100 millino for biotech. NSW by comparison has about $2 million funding for nanotech. The excuse is that "not every state need pursue every scientific holy grail" normally that would be true. But nanotech is mroe than just a holy grail.

Last edited:

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
Yay for photovoltaics..thats what i am doing....well i am doing the renewable energy degree, but they are the same in first year...am actually looking forward to it...

I was going to do chemical and go into the pharmaceuticals industry, but then found out that the only jobs for chemical engineers in that industry were in england, so would have been slightly limited...and just read up on the renewable energy and photovoltaics and it really jumped out at me

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Did I mention they have created spray on photovoltaic cells using nanotechnology, which are more efficient than conventional cells and use infrared not visible radiation? :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
dug said:
hi im really confused on deciding which engineering course to choose...
its either electrical or photovoltaics and solar energy....
and if i choose one of those course.. which science course should i choose??

any ideas would be appreciated!!
thanks
dug
What do you enjoy more? Knowing how complex circuits work in electronics, or the ideas behind solar cells.

Your Science course you should choose what interests you the most. Following blindly someone elses decision might lead to you hating the course and not doing well.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Definitely, Xayma. However in the case of EE and PV, the courses have many units in common, especially in the first year. If it turned out he did not like PV, he could easily switch to EE.

For most people the biggest step is just choosing something - anything. Things fall in place more easily after that, because to be honest very few of us know accurately what our chosen degree will involve. And furthermore, things we thought we would like may be crap, and things we thought would be boring or not worth thinking about become very attractive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)