Purpose of Pelop. League (1 Viewer)

foxster

HSC
Hi,
For a speech assessment in 2wks, I chose to do "Explain the role of the Peloponnesian League". My teacher said that this has to be in reference to Sparta-....!?!?! (maybe the role PL had on sparta?? :confused: )
what can i say?
i guess one is the change over time...from cleomenes, and the first actual decision that the PL made.

any ideas? all suggestions gladly taken!
thanks a lot

Last edited:

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
foxster said:
Hi,
For a speech assessment in 2wks, I chose to do "Explain the role of the Peloponnesian League". My teacher said that this has to be in reference to Sparta-....!?!?! (maybe the role PL had on sparta?? :confused: )
what can i say?
i guess one is the change over time...from cleomenes, and the first actual decision that the PL made.

any ideas? all suggestions gladly taken!
thanks a lot
arrgh ancient (lol my brain is rusty since having finished the hsc) anyways i'll tell u what i have in my book and hope its helpful. (altho its probably not) :D
in terms of its role:
* its role and purpose was restricted to questions of war- ie: Council of Allies met when questions of war arose
* created a strong "military cordon" in the Peloponnese
* provided insulation for Sparta and security for its neighbours
* opposed tyrannies and supported oligarchies
* do u have to talk abt the role of Sparta within the league? I guess u could talk abt how Sparta became military and political hegemon as Argos began to decline..she was the head of the League...

umm other stuffs:
* the PL reflected a change in Spartan foreign policy- to political domination by alliance, rather than by gaining/conquering new territory
* it included all Pelop states except Argos and Achaea- lol u prob know that..

anyways sorry if what i just wrote is useless.. hey i tried lol :)
im so boreddd

foxster

HSC
hey, thanks a lot for that, it did help....for the oral, i have to basically say the role that the PL had on sparta, if that makes sense, thats what i think i have to do---well the topic area is sparta, and the question is : explain the role of the P.L.

thanks

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
hmm ok in terms of sparta:
* the most obvious role is that PL provided defense, military and naval support to Sparta in times of war...also provided finances in times of war ie: tribute and contributions were levied on members in times of war
* different allies contributed diff resources to Sparta in war and thus played a role in adding to Sparta's strength.. eg: Corinth was a vital member of the PL and Sparta relied mainly on the Corinthian navy in the 431 B.C Pelop War. It also relied on Corinth's wealth as it had limited funds
* Sparta was obviously the most influential member and hegemon of the PL (ie: Sparta's assembly made up one half of the decision making process) but different states could play a role in influencing Sparta's policy. eg: Corinth was a very important member of the PL due to its wealth, navy and strategic position.. it was partly due to the influence and persistence of Corinth that Sparta committed herself to war with Athens in 431 B.C
* the PL had no specific enemy, it was aimed at stability within the Peloponnese..which obviously held benefits for Sparta (im half guessing here, but maybe this was particularly important for Sparta, as Sparta was prone to helot revolts)
* it was a more stable alliance than the Delian League as it recognised the autonomy of its members.. this gave Sparta an upper hand in the Pelop Wars against Athens.. Athens lost strength and was finally defeated in the war due to the revolts and loss of support of many of its allies
* due to this nature of the PL, Sparta became seen as the 'Liberator' of states in the war, while Athens was increasingly seen as a 'tyranny'
* because the PL supported oligarchies and opposed democracies, it played a role in promoting Sparta's interests. Sparta was in favour of oligarchies due its large, enslaved helot population that needed to be controlled.

lol umm.. i wish i could give u some more info, its just that we never studied the PL in much detail this year.. hope u can find something useful in what ive written

good luck with ur speech!

Magister

HSC
N/A
re Peloponnesian League

Hi again, foxster!

As promised, I've attached some files on Sparta and the Peloponnesian League. I hope they will be of help to you in preparing your speech.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
One thing I think may have been overlooked.

When the League was formed the member states only had treaties with Sparta and not with anyone each other. Therefore Sparta was assured the dominant position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)