projectile motion question (1 Viewer)

D

d00d

after the graph, theres the one about performing the experiment in another planet. i said the range is the same or something, but now i feel that its wrong.

neeja

Marco Polo meows you!
HSC
the range would be larger because the accel due to gravity is less than earths and hence the projectile would take more time to hit the ground and since horizontal motion isnt affected then the range = V*t and since t is greater then the range is greater

Inhuman

HSC
range is larger. Think about it: you have constant horizontal velocity, so every second it takes to reach the ground is another second travelling horizontally, and less gravity= falling more slowly

i said its the same coz gravity doesnt act horizontally...on vertically.......and the vertical component is independent of the horizontal component (as stated by galileo)....therefore although the vertical might change due to gravity......the horizontal may still be the same...........thats wat i rekon?? but not 100% sure

Eg.
x = Ux.t

Let t = 2t , as gravity makes objects accelerate at a slower rate towards the ground, thus allowing time to be increased (In this case, by double)

This means (Substituting for t), that the final formula should be
x = Ux.2t
= 2Ux.t
Therefore x is greater, because the velocity by time is increased, thus making the distance larger.

RX8LP

i said the range would me much larger than that of the earth but i really didnt give an explanation as to y......
u no its really frustarting when u can picture it in ure head but u jus cant put it paper!!!!

thats physics for ya.......atleast ull grab a mark for stating the right thing..maybe more if they are generous

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
did u actually have to put in the formula?
cuz i just said acceleration due to gravity is lower hence more airtime so it'll go further... didnt bother putting in a formula :(

BuBBleZ :)

ohh man i put that the range would be the same too!!! cuz i thort acceleration only affected the vertical path...so it may take longer to reach the bottom but the range would b da same...so even if the time takes longer ur accelration would differ to make up for it....

just imagine it to extremes. if there was no accel to gravity, the range would be huge/infinity

if there was 1000000000000000g, then the range would b like 0.01 (like my shot put)

so the range isnt constant

sunken eyes

HSC
seriously, that was so easy that question that it almost stuffed me up.
of course lower gravity will increase range, it will take longer to fall to earth, meaning greater range. pretty simple...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)