Prob. Qns HELP!!!!! (1 Viewer)

poowee

Banned
In a gambling game, a computer wille take a random 13 numbers from the integers 1 to 40 inclusive. before this opccurs you are invited to chose 2 numbers, hoping your computer will match them amoungst its 13.

1) Show prob. of having both ur numbers matched is o.1

2) Find prob. that the computer will match:
a) niether of ur numbers
b) only one of ur numbers

3) In a succession of 7 games, find, as decimals the prob that both ur numbers will be matched:
a) exacatly once
b) at least once

CAN SOMEONE DO THIS AND EXPLAIN THE ANSWER

N

ND

1) The prob of having 1 number in the 13 drawn is 13/40, the prob of having both drawn is (13/40)^2=~0.1

2a) Similarly, the prob of having neither drawn is ((40-13)/40)^2 = (27/40)^2
b) Either two of the numbers can be matched here P(match, no match) = 13/40*27/40, P(no match, match) = 27/40*13/40. Now either of these can happen so you add them together.

3) For these use the binomial probability formula. For b), use the fact that P(at least 1 match) = 1 - P(no match).

LadyMoon

HSC
Actually ND i think you are wrong:
for the first one:
given that order doesnt matter....

You pick up 2 out of 40
there fore 40C2=780

it being the TWO in comp's 13 is 13C2=78

Therefore chances are 78/780=0.1

(it working on the others...)

N

ND

Originally posted by LadyMoon
Actually ND i think you are wrong:
for the first one:
given that order doesnt matter....

You pick up 2 out of 40
there fore 40C2=780

it being the TWO in comp's 13 is 13C2=78

Therefore chances are 78/780=0.1

(it working on the others...)
Yeh you're probably right.. i've said it many times and i'll say it again, i cannot do probability.

N

ND

I think you're exaggerating a bit there freaking_out. :p
There are others on this forum who are much better than i am.

LadyMoon, while i agree with your solution, i can't find the error in my logic, would you mind pointing it out?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by ND
I think you're exaggerating a bit there freaking_out. :p
There are others on this forum who are much better than i am.

LadyMoon, while i agree with your solution, i can't find the error in my logic, would you mind pointing it out?

lol, na i wasn't saying u were the best (since u can't do probability.:p (not that i could or anything:())...but yeah, ur still very smart at maths, so i just wanted to know ur secret (is it in the food u eat;))?

LadyMoon

HSC
Becuase the poster hasnt speicified whether the computer (or the player) can choose the same numbers twice, i'm assuming it (both player and comp) cant.

So instead of having (13/40)^2
i have 13/40*12/39=1/10 which is the same as the combinations i put up earlier!!
hope it hepled

but if the computer and the player can chhose the same numbers twice then...you'll be right!

LadyMoon

HSC
Becuase the poster hasnt speicified whether the computer (or the player) can choose the same numbers twice, i'm assuming it (both player and comp) cant.

So instead of having (13/40)^2
i have 13/40*12/39=1/10 which is the same as the combinations i put up earlier!!
hope it hepled

but if the computer and the player can chhose the same numbers twice then...you'll be right!

N

ND

Ah i see, the thought that the numbers couldn't be chosen twice didn't even cross my mind. The question should've specified.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)