primary sources (1 Viewer)

case88

HSC
hey, just wondering if anyone can tell me what primary sources i should use for cities of vesuvius: pompeii and herculaneum? we're meant to be doing research on the local political life in pompeii, and i've found more than enough secondary sources, but it's mandatory to have primary sources...
anyway, i'd appreciate it if someone could help me out
cheers

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Potsherds and other household items?

case88

HSC
cool, i'll look all of that up. if anyone has any more ideas, keep 'em coming, cos i have time until the 18th to finish off my research. anyway, i appreciate it a lot, thanks for the help, guys

PimpMyNoob

HSC
Might be an idea to quote architecture - like why the building was built there etc. such as the water wells being built a minimum distance from houses and the wheel ruts.

smurfygirl

HSC
N/A
Vitruvius' 'On architecture', Pliny's 'Letters to Tacitus', Seneca's comments on the Baths, Strabo's 'Geography', Martial and Cicero.

These cover a variety of topics. I think Pliny, Seneca and Vitruvius are pretty straight forward and should be easy to find.

dancindarz

HSC
hey..

It depends on the topic.. graffiti is a good one for the economy and politics.. and tomb inscriptions are good for the social structure.. good luck.

also, anyone who can help, I need ancient literary sources on the economy of Pompeii and Herculaneum. i only have a couple of days until it's due

Help!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)