Primary or Secondary? (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
He only said 'in its current form' not 'scrapped altogether'. That could mean anything at this stage.

Not particularly related but yesterday I heard on the radio-type-news that in the next 7 years, 50% of all teachers in the Hunter region would retire.

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Not particularly related but yesterday I heard on the radio-type-news that in the next 7 years, 50% of all teachers in the Hunter region would retire.
I heard a similar thing when I was on work experience in a primary school. In my area, they estimate 65% of primary teachers will leave the profession (eg retire, find something better to do with their lives) in the next 10 years.

rific

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
He only said 'in its current form' not 'scrapped altogether'. That could mean anything at this stage.

Yep, from what I've heard it'll gain a year, with possibly the more common b teach or whatever the uni calls it losing a year, so instead of a 4 year/1 year split in options, it'll be 3/2. But that's just the latest proposal I've heard. The current Dip. Ed. program is a flawed.

Yeah, it's estimated to be 40% of teaching staff and 60% of executive positions I think. It's because everyone wants to retire in the Hunter, so we have an above average staff age. This is good news for all the kids starting their degrees now, as in a few years there'll be programs in place I reckon to begin addressing the shortage before it's a shortage... like lowering UAI cutoffs 20 points to increase the first year student-teacher intake 4% in a faculty that is already understaffed...

SamTan*06*

All alone in a memory! I was beautiful theeeen....
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
I like the idea of doing secondary because it allows you to work with a subject area you really have a love of, and can hence explain it really well. Like, I find it easy to think of ways to explain high school level maths to kids, but I couldn't do that with english or the social sciences.
Yes, agreed.

...Except, Im no good at maths. I'm in it for music and drama :) :)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
I like the idea of doing secondary because it allows you to work with a subject area you really have a love of, and can hence explain it really well. Like, I find it easy to think of ways to explain high school level maths to kids, but I couldn't do that with english or the social sciences.
well said :)

and i'm choosing secondary also because, well, small kids (i'm talking, you know, 6 to 10) are really not my forte. i'm just not good with little kids at all, they shit me :| but i really want to teach. so secondary it is. :D

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
*Lozzie* said:
im doing primary ed :) its fun fun fun
wait for fourth year, then lets see if its still fun fun fun

how hard is it to change a tutorial for ONE WEEK so that we can attend the DET graduate information session???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)