Prerequisites in UNI (1 Viewer)

Greninja340

HSC
If i want to do a course that has bio as a prerequisite but i dont to it for my hsc, I have to take a bridging course right? If so how does it work, like how long is it, would it result in me starting the course later than everyone else, do i have to pass, if i dont would i not be able to undertake that course?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure how long it would be, but I found this information:

Let's take USyd as an example:

"As the courses are designed to prepare you for first-year university study, they aren't assessed and aren't an academic qualification."

"The course places emphasis on building conceptual understanding and developing skill sets to prepare you for first-year biology units. You will explore core biology concepts around evolution, diversity, cell biology, molecular biology and genetics."

From: https://www.sydney.edu.au/students/bridging-courses.html

So I believe that yes, you will end up starting the course later than everyone else, but the bridging course isn't assessed so you won't have to worry about passing.

I think this would be similar across unis.

quickoats

HSC
If i want to do a course that has bio as a prerequisite but i dont to it for my hsc, I have to take a bridging course right? If so how does it work, like how long is it, would it result in me starting the course later than everyone else, do i have to pass, if i dont would i not be able to undertake that course?
Depends. Some unis are stricter than others and if you haven't completed the unit formally, you cannot enter the course. Bridging courses are generally not acceptable for prerequisites but suffice for assumed knowledge. If you want to fulfil the bio prerequisite, you need to look at doing either a bio subject or two in first year, or UniLearn biology externally.

Bridging courses are generally quick 2 week things they run before semester 1 so you won't start late (if it satisfies the prerequisites which I am pretty sure it doesnt)

Greninja340

HSC
So do you just chose a bio unit/s in your first or second year then you're good?
Just looked on the uni page and it says that you have to complete a unilearn bio course, it says that it takes a year to complete so would i have to take a gap year?

quickoats

HSC
So do you just chose a bio unit/s in your first or second year then you're good?
You won't get into the course though... https://future.ask.adelaide.edu.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/2719 Generally unis suggest that you do a course at their uni, and take the relevant unit, then try for a transfer (scooping a year of fees off of you with no guarantee that you'll get into your desired course.)
Just looked on the uni page and it says that you have to complete a unilearn bio course, it says that it takes a year to complete so would i have to take a gap year?
Lol are you looking at latrobe dentistry?

One thing to note - NSW unis rarely have prereqs its more of an interstate thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)