Preparing for year 12 biology and chemistry (1 Viewer)

Romajxs

HSC
Hi everyone, what is the best way to get ahead these holidays for biology and chemistry? Also, what are some study tips that I can utilise during the school term to study efficiently for these subjects, because I want to minimise time spent studying and maximise results and knowledge.

indeed

HSC
I do chem; tips for the holidays = rest; but if you really want to study = do a bit of revision on maybe Mod 4 (enthalpy, gibbs free) cause that can reappear in HSC, aside from that make sure your mod 2 calculations are all good (you're fine with moles and stuff)

During yr 12 tips = do some quick notes (emphasise on quick rather than aesthetically pleasing) as you learn content in order to fully understand it all (structure it based on syllabus); if you don't understand a concept dont bury it, ask someone; and also don't worry if you realise you can't fully remember everything as chem is a content heavy subject (when exams arrive, just do past papers and targeted quick notes on stuff you completely can't remember, and the content will all come back to you)

Other than that dont worry, it's just yr 11 but new content

carrotsss

HSC
I do chem; tips for the holidays = rest; but if you really want to study = do a bit of revision on maybe Mod 4 (enthalpy, gibbs free) cause that can reappear in HSC, aside from that make sure your mod 2 calculations are all good (you're fine with moles and stuff)

During yr 12 tips = do some quick notes (emphasise on quick rather than aesthetically pleasing) as you learn content in order to fully understand it all (structure it based on syllabus); if you don't understand a concept dont bury it, ask someone; and also don't worry if you realise you can't fully remember everything as chem is a content heavy subject (when exams arrive, just do past papers and targeted quick notes on stuff you completely can't remember, and the content will all come back to you)

Other than that dont worry, it's just yr 11 but new content
extra extra emphasis on the quick notes bit, notes can work really well if used correctly like that, but the way that most people spend hours making beautiful notes is just pointless

helloworld!

HSC
Hi everyone, what is the best way to get ahead these holidays for biology and chemistry? Also, what are some study tips that I can utilise during the school term to study efficiently for these subjects, because I want to minimise time spent studying and maximise results and knowledge.
Hello!
First of all, well done on having a proactive attitude towards the HSC Biology course.
Second, with regards to the holiday period and preparation, the first thing is rest. Recharge your brain especially after prelims. Then, have a look into 'priming'. Basically, it is like creating a 'bookshelf' for all the 'books' you get (i.e. the content) next year. This will allow you to properly absorb and memorise new information, instead of having all the 'books' pile up in messy stacks. I won't be able to explain it very well, but this video might: What is Priming? Increase Learning by 40% | Study Clinic - YouTube .
If that doesn't float your boat, you can try learning the content earlier. In this case, I'd go by syllabus order, however your school may change the order up a bit. Whatever you do, consult the teachers for the learning pattern, get ahead and stay ahead.

I wish you luck!

- helloworld!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)