Preliminary Source Analysis Test on Monday (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
hey, we have a test on monday for Modern and i've mentioned before that my teachers getting a hip replacement anyway. The test is worth 25% and contains three sections. Our topic is the world at the beginning of the 20th C.

Another Modern teacher came in a gave us a brief run down of the test structure

First section - looking at souces aand recording info from them
- looking at the 'isms and their impact

Second - longer response
using both sources and own knowledge
lead up to WWI
impact og 'isms

Third - reliability and usefulness of sources - when using sources to evaulate imperialism

Between yesterday and today i have written notes on -
Imperialism - what it is
its effects
eg's - Boxer Rebellion
Different empires - British, German

Colonialism - the scramble for Africa
+ ive and - ve effects of colonisation
as well as the increase of tensions

Militarism - what it is
+ Alliances - Triple Entente, Triple Alliance
Scliefflen Plan
Morrocan Crises

Nationalism and its effect on imperialism

Other things such as:
Democracy
Liberalism
Inustrialisation
Anti-Semmitism
Capitalism
Communism

I have 17 pages of notes so far on close to A4 paper. I use symbols and shorthand but is 17-20 pages too much for one topic. Also are the topics i have covered sufficent enough for this exam and if anyone has looked at what i have said is in the exam could you give me any pointers for it.

This would be much appreciated thankyou:):):):):)

This is me at the moment :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
17 pages is more than enough. Just as long as they cover the point, and the topics that are going to be tested in this exam, then you will be fine. Remember the concepts of each 'isms and how they contributed to the outbreak of WWI, how to incorporate your sources and knowledge into a good essay, and know the difference between usefulness and reliability when analysing a source.

You could have a look at some MH exams in the Resources section, or in the Preliminary Resources Thread (I remember a MH exam being uploaded there) for past exams. You could also practise analysing sources for usefulness and reliability, and/or just do some essays on a topic question based on your subject matter. Hope that helps :)

Magicana

HSC
Right.

Cross of communism, that wasn't around back then.

Imperialism and colonialism can sort of tie together, because it is the development of the Empire, through colonialism.

For the first section, you need little own knowledge. It is ALL source work, so dont worry about it.

Section two is your own knowledge and sources. When I did it I talked about Imperialism, Militarism and the July Days (From memory). Those are the important aspects. Make sure to use the sources as well.

Section three requires little own knowledge, but an ability to analyse sources. Make sure to tie in their usefulness to the question, and their reliability to the P.O.V.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
You might also want to talk about the Arms Race, but I guess that ties in with industrialisation.

Add historiography in the essay if possible as well =]

Magicana

HSC
Kujah said:
You might also want to talk about the Arms Race, but I guess that ties in with industrialisation.

Add historiography in the essay if possible as well =]
No need for historiography. From what he wrote, it is a sources task.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I have a quesiton about the usefulness of sources. Say I have two visual sources, and the question asked me how the arts and literature are useful to historians about the French Revolution. How would I go about answering it?

Magicana

HSC
Kujah said:
I have a quesiton about the usefulness of sources. Say I have two visual sources, and the question asked me how the arts and literature are useful to historians about the French Revolution. How would I go about answering it?
Depends what it shows. Might show the class struggles, the plight of the working class compared to the priests, nobles and king, etc.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
One of them shows Robespierre being shot in the jaw.

Magicana

HSC
Kujah said:
One of them shows Robespierre being shot in the jaw.
Attitude towards revolutionaries? Attitude towards the reign of terror? That kind of thing. Maybe to stir sympathy for the revolutionaries (Not that they needed much).

slowjam10

HSC
I had my test today and well it was actually sort of fun, i think i did really well thanks for your help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)