Prac- Identification of Ions (1 Viewer)

HeartsDales

HSC
This is in part three of the 'Chemical and Monitoring Management' of the syllabus. Could someone please list the equipments that are needed for it cause I don't know how you're suppose to light up the solids(?). Are some of them going to be in a form of a precipitate before they are lit? Must a (?) basin be needed so the precipitate is stashed into it before it gets lit? How much of each chemical is needed for each? Does the 0.1 mole thing got to do anything with it?

In terms of enhancing the experiment, should I include a number of different variables in the use of the identification of a single cation/anion for all of them? Would that be safer in case my ...disadvantaged school cannot provide all the chemicals that I need in the distinction of chemicals?

How is a table set out when asked to 'draw a table to record your findings'? Is it cation vs anion?

How am I to word in possible problems that could be anticipated? In the 'method' section? And with it being discussed in showing ways of dealing with them, should that be included in my method?

In the usage of mathematical problems in my conclusion, which mathematical finding do they want?

Tuna

HSC
N/A
HeartsDales said:
This is in part three of the 'Chemical and Monitoring Management' of the syllabus. Could someone please list the equipments that are needed for it cause I don't know how you're suppose to light up the solids(?). Are some of them going to be in a form of a precipitate before they are lit? Must a (?) basin be needed so the precipitate is stashed into it before it gets lit? How much of each chemical is needed for each? Does the 0.1 mole thing got to do anything with it?

In terms of enhancing the experiment, should I include a number of different variables in the use of the identification of a single cation/anion for all of them? Would that be safer in case my ...disadvantaged school cannot provide all the chemicals that I need in the distinction of chemicals?

How is a table set out when asked to 'draw a table to record your findings'? Is it cation vs anion?

How am I to word in possible problems that could be anticipated? In the 'method' section? And with it being discussed in showing ways of dealing with them, should that be included in my method?

In the usage of mathematical problems in my conclusion, which mathematical finding do they want?

You can do flame tests or precipitation tests to identify the ions( BOTH METHODS ARE IMPORTANT)

Principle behind flame test:

When the metallic ion is strongly heated electons are excited thus move to higher energy levels. This makes them unstable and they fall back to lower levels, emitting a photon.

Energy = h.f , h is constant, f is photon frequency

We can classify photon's emission in the order of frequency. Recall that the higher the frequency the shorter the wavelength.
c = wavelength x frequency , c is the speed of light
Hence look at the colour spectrum and we can classify there colours.

I will not go through the precipitation tests here because it is long and can be done easily on flow charts(refer to your texts books)

There's no reliability in this once except cleaning the equipments probably

Table should be drawn ions and colours

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
there are alot to say abt reliability and validity in the precipitation test... know that there's a definite order u conduct precipitation... getting the order mixed, or did not ppt out all ion can spell invalid conclusion.

as for flame test, Na+ ion are present almost everywhere... it has a bright yellow flame which may camaflague the other colours... or some one who did expmt before u didn't clearn up the Pt wire...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)