Poor Year-Average Prelim Marks (1 Viewer)

doctorhayman

HSC
hey guys, so I was wondering if the prelim marks at my school are an indicator of how well my cohort is gonna do in the HSC, since year prelim averages were pretty bad (50% for all sciences, engineering, and MX1). I go to a decent school in NSW (top 50) if that matters

is this because the tests they set are hard, or is this just from skill issue? I'm a bit concerned looking at the raw marks since most people in my year are pretty driven and get tutored a lot but still got bad marks. For example, the Physics prelim average was 39/75 and the Chem one was 40/75. I even know someone who failed every single prelim he took.

carrotsss

HSC
it’s all relative, if ur yeargroup did really bad in prelims compared to previous year groups then your hsc results will probably be worse than theirs

those prelim results sound a lotttt better than my school though

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
I would expect them to be higher considering students are getting tutoring + are driven at a high ranking school. Although it's probably a mix of lack of exam experience, hard tests and just some gaps in knowledge. Whilst I agree that prelim marks year-on-year would give some indication on strength of cohort, I don't believe that its too reliable because the skill increase from 11-->12 fluctuates a lot from student to student. Some do massive improvements, some completely stuff it up and some just stay where they are. Trial marks will give you a better idea, so don't start worrying about ranks and assessment marks yet hahaha just try and get your rank as high as possible. good luck for next year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)