Poll Results (5th Week) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tr><td width="100%" height="10"></td></tr><tr><td width="100%"><CENTER><font face=Arial size=3><b>Why did you choose to do an extension course?</b><p><TABLE BORDER=1 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=70% bordercolor=#6D5DBC><TR><TD bgcolor=#006699>
<p align=center><font face=Arial><font color=white><b><font color="#FFFFFF">Opinion</font></b>
</TD><TD bgcolor=#006699>
<p align=center><font face=Arial color=white><b><font color="#FFFFFF">Votes</font></b>
</TD><TD bgcolor=#006699>
<p align=center><font face=Arial color=white><b><font color="#FFFFFF">Percentage</font></b>
</TD></TR><TR><TD><p align=center> <font face=Arial size=2><b>I heard the scaling was good.</b></TD><TD><p align=center><font face=Arial size=2>402</TD><TD><p align=center><font face=Arial size=2>16%</TD></TR><TR><TD><p align=center><font face=Arial size=2><b>I desired the challenge.</b></TD><TD><p align=center><font face=Arial size=2>1377</TD><TD><p align=center><font face=Arial size=2>56%</TD></TR><TR><TD><p align=center><font face=Arial size=2><b>I don't do any extension courses.</b></TD><TD><p align=center><font face=Arial size=2>648</TD><TD><p align=center><font face=Arial size=2>26%</TD></TR><TR><TD colspan=3><font face=Arial size=2><CENTER><b>Total Votes: 2427</b></CENTER></TD></TR></TABLE></CENTER></td></tr><tr><td width="100%" height="20"></td></tr></table>

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I suppose most people don't want to admit it, heh.

Dahvood

doing it just for the scaling is bs... if you're more likely to do well at something which stimulates you, you go do that. ignore the scaling thing, that isn't what's going to make or break your uai. not caring about a course will.

Morgues

Exactly how many people are doing 4 unit maths because they love maths? Loving maths might be part of the reason but I can assure you for most its because subjects like 4 unit maths are what lead to a 95+ uai

philbert_frog

It depends on the subject as to whether you choose it for scaling or not.

ie. 4u maths - yes a lot of ppl do it for the scaling, and many do it even though they probably shouldn't (and it negatively affects their other subjects) because they believe that it will magically raise ALL their subjects marks. How they got that idea I don't know.

case no. 2: history extension - no one would do this extension unless they really liked history, and desired the challenge of the project (oh god no, the memories :( !!). Its the same with music extension.

What I'm saying is people choose extension subjects on electives (languages, history, music etc...) because they like the subject, whereas they tend to choose it on "compulsory" subjects (I consider maths all-but compulsory) for the scaling.

Oh hang on, english is compulsory and no-one does extension 1/2 for the scaling.... oh shit, there goes my theory.

AcCeSs-DeNieD

I suppose some people may like the challenge of Classical Greek Extension.... Imagine doing Classical greek extension, 4u maths and 4u english.....
how much fun would that BE!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
lol

incidently, last yr, 3U english itself scaled higher than 4U english

and yes, If not for the scaling, i'd drop 3U math simply cos i dun realli need it, and i have enough units
but, its there and i may as well do it cos its not realli that hard (?)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I think he means band E4. :)

On the topic of 3u and 4u english scaling - the following is an excerpt from an email I received from Prof George Cooney. In case you're interested.

The reason the English Extension 2 scaled marks were lower than the
Mathematics Extension 2 marks was because of their performance on the
Extension 1 paper.

The Mathematics Extension 2 students performed very well on the Extension 1
paper whereas the English Extension 2 students performed no better, as a
group, than the total candidature. The mean of the Mathematics Extension 2
group on the Extension 1 paper was well above average, whereas the mean of
the English Extension 2 group on the Extension 1 paper was average only.
This was actually in accord with observations made by the English
examiners, that their Extension 2 students were different from the
Extension 1 students but were not necessarily from the top English
students. This is very different to what happens in Mathematics.

It is the relative performance of the Extension 2 group on the Extension 1
paper that determines the way the marks are scaled. If the English
Extension 2 group had performed better on the Extension 1 paper their
scaled marks wouild have been higher.

Morgues

Originally posted by MinAi
lol

incidently, last yr, 3U english itself scaled higher than 4U english

and yes, If not for the scaling, i'd drop 3U math simply cos i dun realli need it, and i have enough units
but, its there and i may as well do it cos its not realli that hard (?)
I thought you didnt want physics to count?

dissonance

personally I choose to do english ext2 and music extension because I would rather do more of those subjects instead of picking up other ones instead that I wouldn't be so good at. It was more a question of doing more of the subjects I thought I was better at instead of picking up other 2-unit courses that I'd probably have less interest in and that might not come to me as naturally such as maths for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)