Political Economy? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I just got into UNSW for a BArts, and I was interested in taking a look at political economy, since it was recommended by a friend of mine (I'm looking to major in Politics and Economics, so you can imagine why he'd recommend it).

Thing is, the course handbook doesn't seems to list Political Economy this year, but it's still available to students who started in previous years. Does this mean it's been cancelled, or might it be reintroduced in the future?

HSC
The major has been discontinued and it is only available to those who have already done subjects in it. And it's probably unlikely that it may be reintroduced seeing as the state of FASS isn't exactly the best.

bookseller

HSC
N/A
The major has been discontinued and it is only available to those who have already done subjects in it. And it's probably unlikely that it may be reintroduced seeing as the state of FASS isn't exactly the best.
im already enrolled in PECO 1000- Intro to Political Economy. Does that mean I have to pick another course?

Last edited:
HSC
since you've already in it, you must have enrolled before the course was discontinued. You just continue normally

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Truth be told, there are very few core PECO units to begin with such that a political economy major ultimately consists of certain units drawn from each of politics and economics. This is easily confirmed by looking at the handbook. My expectation is that some of the PECO courses will be retained, or filed under different codes, while the major itself is scrapped. If you want a thorough major in political economy which provides deep analysis of a broad range of issues from the perspective of heterodox schools of economics (i.e. those outside the neoliberal orthodox mainstream) then you are better off studying at USyd. Not only does UNSW not offer such a major, but USyd probably has one of the stronger political economic departments to be found in Australia.

For what it is worth, I took PECO2000 and PECO3000. The former dealt with a range of policy issues with a focus on understanding neoliberal perspectives and their potential flaws. The latter delved into a number of heterodox schools of political economy including Marxian, the work of Kalecki, Keynesian, Evolutionary and Institutional (Veblen, Schumpeter), Post-Keynesian. Ultimately the latter taught me to distrust economists, but I nonetheless found it to be a fantastic course which was theoretically very rigorous - it scraped down to the core methodological issues which plague economics (regarding [in]determinacy, probability, rationality, time, equilibrium, and so on) to an extent that I found satisfying as a student of philosophy. In other words, the course did not cut corners and force you to accept certain received teachings. Instead the plural focus invited one to actively question and propose approaches to fundamental problems in economics/policymaking which are commonly ignored in the mainstream teaching of economics. Also, Peter Kriesler was a great lecturer.

Take this course :) (PECO3000) Also, check out the society for heterodox economics at UNSW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)