Political/ Current Affairs Books (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Is anyone in to these? At the moment I'm reading "The New Rulers of the World" by John Pilger. It's most interesting and eye opening. I really liked the first Michael Moore book, I haven't read the second one yet. Anyone else like this stuff? Any other suggestions?

^___^
HSC
my dad bought this book by Keating..might read it..

and east and west by Chris Pattern(leader of Hong Kong b4 1997), this book is a tough one to read...not cos its boring, but the use of language is outstanding

Alexander

Gold Member
Moore is great--esp S.W.M. Some people say they dont like his generalisations etc. but i do.
You have to look past the 'umor' at what he's really trying to say, he just trys to emphasise his points clearly, which is goot

I did try to get into those political spy novels by...what's his face....Tom Clancy!...but i thought they were a bit trashy US stuff.
LeCarre is the best there.
If you havent, you should read that Brit. book 'globilization'.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Is anyone in to these? At the moment I'm reading "The New Rulers of the World" by John Pilger. It's most interesting and eye opening.
This was indeed interesting..Quite eye-opening about the role of America in the 1965-66 massacres in Indonesia. (With some 500 000 being murdered. :( )

Along those lines, Noam Chomsky is good.. Perhaps you'd like 'Year 501', or 'Deterring Democracy'. Haven't read his new one though, so if anyone has, do comment.

However, for a political text that functions both as literary interpretation and a highly relevant insight into the current political situation, I recommend 'Orientalism' by Edward Said. To quote, the basic thesis of this text is that;

Orientalism is a style of thought based upon an ontological and epistemological distinction made between the 'Orient' and (most of the time), 'the Occident'. Thus a very large mass of writers, among whom are poets, novelists, philosophers, political theorists, economists and imperial administrators, have accepted the basic distinction between East and West as the starting point for elaborate theories, epics, novels, social descriptions, and political accounts concerning the Orient, its people, customs, 'mind', destiny, and so-on...

Or as an epigraph within states;
They must be represented, for they can not represent themselves.-Karl Marx.

I believe at least part of this thesis is demonstrated by the flurry of texts concerning terrorism and the supposed 'Islamic Mind'..Also seen in theories such as the supposed 'Clash Of Civilisations'.

Alexander

Gold Member
Good one Greg, Chomsky was who I was trying to remember!
Yes, I read him a while ago, very eye opening, but pretty depressing...what's that saying "knowledge is sadness" or something. You feels helpless and selfish after.
He's on SBS every now and then too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)