plz advice !! (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y

and may i ask what exactly do u learn if u don't try???
you learn that if you dont try, then you'll never know your full potential ... and you also feel you've let yourself down ... it motivates you to never do the same mistake again - that is not try ...

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by YEAR11
The best you can do is YOUR best. I don't think 'everyone is capable of 100 if they want it'. Its one of life's little realities that no matter how good you are there is always going to be someone better (save the people who did get 100). Its not a negative comment, its the truth. If you know within yourself that you have done your best, there can be no better feeling. Nothing feels worse than regret, "if only I had studied more, paid more attention, not gone out, bla bla bla' , but if you got a mark of 50 in all of your subjects and knew that was the best you could do, than I don't possibly see how you can be upset. You may want to improve, yes, but you can't say "if only I had done better" because your best is the best you can ever do.
thanks man, that was really insightful

Moon

from someone whos just finished yr 12...dude- studying 7-8 hours a day in the holidays just isnt cool, no matter what you're aiming for. In the end, UAI is probably 1/5th talent, 1/5th hard work and 3/5th luck, because who knows whats going to come up on the day of your exam, what the markers will be like or how the scaling goes against you. As for stories of breakdowns, I had a pretty bad one in about April where I couldn't do anything except sleep- I'd get up after 14 hours sleep, then sleep all the way through class, and I'm usually a really dedicated student...the point is, I'm really glad it happened then and not before the HSC becuase it told me to lighten up. In the holidays before trials I went and lay on the beach in Brisbane doing nothing for a week, and did the same in Sydney for half of STUVAC. It meant that I was rested, relaxed, and ready to really hone in on what mattered when I did study for the rest of the time. My dream was to get the marks to do law at syd- so like you I was aiming high- and I did it! Not because I slaved away- the opposite- because I finally listened to how tired my body was getting and took time out. Good luck, but don't kill yourself- you will find no pleasure in living like a robot.
Cheers

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Moon
from someone whos just finished yr 12...dude- studying 7-8 hours a day in the holidays just isnt cool, no matter what you're aiming for. In the end, UAI is probably 1/5th talent, 1/5th hard work and 3/5th luck, because who knows whats going to come up on the day of your exam, what the markers will be like or how the scaling goes against you. As for stories of breakdowns, I had a pretty bad one in about April where I couldn't do anything except sleep- I'd get up after 14 hours sleep, then sleep all the way through class, and I'm usually a really dedicated student...the point is, I'm really glad it happened then and not before the HSC becuase it told me to lighten up. In the holidays before trials I went and lay on the beach in Brisbane doing nothing for a week, and did the same in Sydney for half of STUVAC. It meant that I was rested, relaxed, and ready to really hone in on what mattered when I did study for the rest of the time. My dream was to get the marks to do law at syd- so like you I was aiming high- and I did it! Not because I slaved away- the opposite- because I finally listened to how tired my body was getting and took time out. Good luck, but don't kill yourself- you will find no pleasure in living like a robot.
Cheers
did u give it ur all when you were in school though?

Moon

Yeah for sure...I mean, I can't say that I worked in all of my free periods and I definitely didnt skip lunch to study or anything but I'd say I was pretty focused on class the whole time I was there.

pri

HSC
N/A
I think thats the key thing, to actually pay attention in class, it saves sooo many hours later

kate

ooh i agree
i wasted all my time in class doing nothing much at all
spent the week before hsc trying to catch up. lol.
that left the night before the exams to study.
definately wouldnt recommend it ;)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Moon
Cheers
I think that is the best advice....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)