Please Explain!!! (1 Viewer)

Kiki_T2

HSC
I'm really not understanding the whole concept of Navigating the Global and now we have an assessment task. Basically I just need to know what it is and what I'm supposed to do, so if there is anyone that is a lot more knowledgeable than me and knows how to explain things simply it would be greatly appreciated :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
What don't you understand about navglob? It is a very complex theory but once you unravel it, it changes your world haha. If you give specific details about it, I'll try my best to explain :)

Kiki_T2

HSC
OMG THANK YOU!!! Ok, well I have to deliver a speech considering the statement 'There exists a ubiquitous tension between the local and the global' representing my understanding of the elective. But I don't understand the elective..... and I don't know what I don't understand about it hahahaha can you see my problem?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Ok that's a really difficult starting point. I would really recommend you start reading theories and essays about globalisation (particularly the fate of the local) and getting a better grasp of what the topic is about.

Do you understand the concept of a globalising world first? If you don't, that's a potential starting point. Tell me how much you know about the globalising world and we'll go from there.

Kiki_T2

HSC
Ok well I think this is all problematic for me because we have had three teachers. My teacher was away and then the substitute (who didn't really explain it to us) went away and somehow we analysed Heaney's poetry. Mind you we didn't look at how it related to Navigating the Global. I'm really stuck and I just don't know where to start. I have been reading a bit about it today and so far I have learnt more than we covered in the whole term but I still just don't have a definite grasp on it. And to answer your question about the globalisation of the world....nothing. My teacher just gave us the CSU Navigating the Global thing and reading that helped me get an idea of the elective but that's it....sorry probably not making this helpable??? hahaha

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
ok, well I really recommend you do lots readings other than the CSU stuff to get a better grasp. My attempt to explain it to you probably won't be that great, so bear that in mind haha.

In essence, the concept of a globalising world is where physical boundaries between the global and local areas in the world are become more and more blurred, due to advances in communications and evolving economic, social and political ideologies. This disintegration of these physical boundaries means the global community is able to become more integrated - essentially what they call a "global village", where the exchange of ideas, trends, etc. happen at unprecedented rates.

With the local stuff, there's like two things you want to look at in a globalising world:
- the homogenisation of the world (i.e. society is becoming more integrated and less individualised and we are essentially more similar)
- the heterogenisation of the local communities (i.e. local communities are resisting the impacts of a globalising world and are aiming to become more distinctive and "localised")

there's a lot of other stuff that goes with it, I've given you a super basic summary but it should be enough of a starting point for you to get into the topic :) I hope this helps!

Kiki_T2

HSC
Thanks soooooo much! It makes sense and seems a little familiar to me in the sense that I'm starting to understand it a lot better. Is there anything you recommend I read? And I think I have a much clearer view of what the elective is now, so it's just the application of that to Seamus Heaney's poetry that I've got to nail hahaha

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You might wish to consider borrowing/purchasing a book called 'Success in Navigating the Global' by William Burden & Maree Jones-it might give you some more ideas about what the module is about:)

Kiki_T2

HSC
Guys...great news I ended up getting 21/25 for this hahahah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)