Plato's The Republic (1 Viewer)

nathanf

HSC
I'm about halfway with this book, one considered by many to be a vital block of the foundations of Western Philosophy, and a brilliant example of the wisdom of the ancients.

Has anyone read it? If you have please share you opinions :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I haven't read it yet, but it's sitting in my pile of books, hopefully to be started soon.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
About to start reading it in Greek at uni, it's meant to be a pretty amazing piece of writing.

nathanf

HSC
It's great. It's written from the perspective of Socrates, and he argues out what the definition of justice is as thramasyus (That's gotta be spelt wrong) said that justice is what is in the interest of the stronger man.
That is what warms up the debate, then socrates discusses the ideal society where philosophers are the leaders of the city and men and women are 'guardians of the city'

It's difficult to say even a fraction of what this book gives discussion on. But it's a very good read.

Anyone here read it?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Never read it in one go but studied it a bit. Thought it was a bit creepy the way he establishes groundings for eugenics, ethnic cleansing etc..

CecilyMare

HSC
I've only read the Allegory of the Cave. It really makes you go about hating the world if you interpret it right :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)