• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Plasma and Platelets (1 Viewer)

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
under the dtopoint of what components are extracted from donated blood...

do they both unclot blood? i always thought one clotted whereas teh other was an unclotting agent?

apparently i was told that plasma has solutions in it that cause unclotting whereas platelets primary role is to unclot...dunno if you get what im saying, but more is focused on unclotting than the other?

i know that platelets are used for those doing chemotherapy or had cancer and plasmas used for haemophilia...or isi t the other way around?

joshuaali

HSC
Hey David. Isn't this from Maintaining a Balance?

Platelets are a cause of blood clotting (which, in an ideal situation, stops bleeding and thus loss of blood). Plasma is the liquid component of blood, however, it contains clotting "factors" - (usually) proteins that assist those platelets in clotting.

As for your examples, cancer patients would probably take regular platelet transfusions while haemophiliacs would be given "Fresh Frozen Plasma" (FFP) for their clotting factors.

As far as I know, FFP is used if clotting is needed instantly or if the disease/condition cannot be treated using platelet transfusions.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Plasma contains clotting factors as well. So both actually clot.

Serum is the one without clotting factor!

Technically, haemophilics required factor VIII, not platelets. :)

mzduxx2006

HSC
Buiboi said:
under the dtopoint of what components are extracted from donated blood...

do they both unclot blood? i always thought one clotted whereas teh other was an unclotting agent?

apparently i was told that plasma has solutions in it that cause unclotting whereas platelets primary role is to unclot...dunno if you get what im saying, but more is focused on unclotting than the other?

i know that platelets are used for those doing chemotherapy or had cancer and plasmas used for haemophilia...or isi t the other way around?
platets= clotting of blood

plasma= hydration of blood, passing of that liquid but it also contains platet proteins that ASSIST in blood clotting.

K

katie_tully

When you have blood in an undamaged vessel, platelets are repelled from each other. When the vessel is injured and the endothelium is broken, proteins in the platelets plasma membrane bind to exposed collagen fibres.
Basically all you'd need to know for clotting is the three steps
1. Vasoconstriction
2. The formation of a platelet plug (which is what happens when the platelets are exposed to collagen)
3. A web of fibrin. Fibrin exists in platelets as fibrinogen, but it's activated during the platelet plug formation

If you're talking about the dissolution of clots you're talking about, as somebody said, Factor XII which converts an inactive molecule present in the plasma to an active molecule and this Kallikrein molecule converts plasminogen into plasmin and plasmin eats the fibrin!

So platelets yes, more so for clotting. Plasma contains the proteins required for the dissolution of clots.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Plasma contains clotting factors as well. So both actually clot.

Serum is the one without clotting factor!

Technically, haemophilics required factor VIII, not platelets. :)
Factor VIII for Haemophilia A

Factor IX for haemophilia B

A8,B9 *shrug*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)