Physiotherapy at sydney? (1 Viewer)

dancegal

HSC
hey,
im in year 12 and thinking bout doing Physio at sydney uni next year.

The thing is, i don't do ANY sciences (i have 2u maths though) and chem and physics are assumed knowledge...so i could do a bridging course but would i still be heaps behind and find it really really hard?

I have danced (classical ballet) since I was 5 and so have a general knowlege of the muscles and how the body works etc & and have done heaps of conditioning stuff like pilates. Also, i have spent quite a lot of time at physio's coz of my own injuries. Would my dance background make it easier for me 2 do physio without having done any HSC sciences or is it still too impossible?

thanx

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
i reckon u should be allowed hehehe

but i wouldnt no a thing hehe :p soz..

Kittycat

HSC
well, I would say that the dance background you have perhaps will help you later with the practical stuff.
Because Chem & Phys are only assume knowledge, you may still get in if you have enough uai but you are going to have hell of a time catching up. May I suggest you borrow out HSC Chem & Phy textbooks right after you finish your hsc exams & start going through it. It will help you later in the bridging course (you know, with the head start & stuff)

Leap

free falling
HSC
Its shouldn't be too much of a problem if you're willing to work hard to catch up. I'm doing OT and we have Human Biology and Biochemistry with the Physio students, and in that subject when we started doing Chemistry we covered all the really basic Chemistry stuff first anyway. A lot of people who did Chem for the HSC skipped those lectures cause they were so basic, but they were helpful for people like me who hadn't done Chem since year 10.
If you do a bridging course for Physics and Chem you should be able to cope with it. And you could always borrow some textbooks during the summer holidays between the end of the HSC and the start of Uni and try and learn the main concepts.

tha_fairy

Originally posted by Leap
Its shouldn't be too much of a problem if you're willing to work hard to catch up. I'm doing OT and we have Human Biology and Biochemistry with the Physio students, and in that subject when we started doing Chemistry we covered all the really basic Chemistry stuff first anyway.
hey i'm doing physio at usyd now - do we actually have classes with OT, in biochemistry? because the only class that we share with OT is intro psych - we do everything else with exercise sport science, or on our own. we don't even have a subject called biochemistry? haha im probably being all picky about the technical names.

but anyhoos, dancegal, you should read the other thread on physio. it would probably answer some of your questions. like what some of the others have said, 1st year in physio, is the foundations of the whole course, so most of it is sciences. you should do the bridging courses before starting uni, otherwise you will need to devote alot of time in learning the coursework, and trust me, on top of all the other workthat they chuck at u, it is an advantage either doing hsc chem and physics, or doing a bridging course.
with you knowing muscles and stuff already also comes to an advantage, however, we are going to a great deal of depth to the muscular system at the moment, so it's still not easy. like, i did certificate III in fitness over the 3 month break, where i learnt all the muscles and analysis of the movements of the body, but i'm still finding the coursework tough.
let me just say tho, the work is worth the effort! it's a great, but tough course!

Leap

free falling
HSC
do we actually have classes with OT, in biochemistry? because the only class that we share with OT is intro psych - we do everything else with exercise sport science, or on our own. we don't even have a subject called biochemistry? haha im probably being all picky about the technical names.
hmmm, thats weird cause I know a few people doing physio and I was sure they were in my biochemistry lectures?? Maybe its got a different name for you guys?

Or maybe I'm just confusing it with psych :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)