Perms (1 Viewer)

moderntortoisecat

HSC
Find the number of different ways in which n students can stand in a row when two are boys, the rest are girls and the boys all stand together

Five drummers and five singers sit together in a row. In how many ways can this be done if a particular drummer must not sit between two particular singers?

WeiWeiMan

HSC
Find the number of different ways in which n students can stand in a row when two are boys, the rest are girls and the boys all stand together

Five drummers and five singers sit together in a row. In how many ways can this be done if a particular drummer must not sit between two particular singers?
1)
(n-2) girls and 2 boys
Treat the two boys as one 'entity' and hence arrange (n-1) entities. Then, arrange the two boys.
i.e. possible permutations = 2! * (n-1)!

2)
5 drummers, 5 singers, 10 total people
the total number of ways to arrange these people in a line is 10!
the number of ways in which the conditions are met is the total number of ways - the number of the in which the condition is NOT met.

there are 2 IMPORTANT singers and 1 IMPORTANT drummer, hence 10-2-1 =7 other people
treat these 3 IMPORTANT people as 1 entity that can be arrange in two ways (the drummer must stay in the middle),

hence ways = 10!-8! * 2 = 3548160

note: if it's wrong don't blame me plz

Susu123

HSC
1)
(n-2) girls and 2 boys
Treat the two boys as one 'entity' and hence arrange (n-1) entities. Then, arrange the two boys.
i.e. possible permutations = 2! * (n-1)!

2)
5 drummers, 5 singers, 10 total people
the total number of ways to arrange these people in a line is 10!
the number of ways in which the conditions are met is the total number of ways - the number of the in which the condition is NOT met.

there are 2 IMPORTANT singers and 1 IMPORTANT drummer, hence 10-2-1 =7 other people
treat these 3 IMPORTANT people as 1 entity that can be arrange in two ways (the drummer must stay in the middle),

hence ways = 10!-8! * 2 = 3548160

note: if it's wrong don't blame me plz
is this stuff in yr 12 as well? or just prelims?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)