• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Pericles Assignment (1 Viewer)

swammydee

HSC
Hi Everyone- I am new to this site and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about how Pericles impacted The Athenian Government in the early stages of democracy. Like how did he actually begin to make adiference? ANY help would be appreciated.. Thanks Ya'll...

Magister

HSC
N/A
Re Pericles

Hi!

Pericles became the most influential politician and general in Athens from the late 450s until his death in c.430-29. You could start be examining his family background-he was from the prominent noble Alkmeonidae family which gave him status and privilege. He was closely involved in the democratic reforms of ephialtes which successfully weakened the power of the Areopagus and transferred it to the demos , thus installing the final phase of direct democracy. He succeeded both Kimon and Ephialtes (who was assassinated) as the most prominent statesman in Athens and proponent of democracy. He was to move democracy further along and make it more participatory by the introduction of state payment for service (e.g. in the navy and military and for jury service), thus increasing his ppularity with the lower classes.

As a military leader, he was consistently successful in campaigns against Athens' enemies as well as recalcitrant members of the Delian League, as demonstrated by his re-election for 12 or so successive years. He was a strong supporter of imperialism and anti-Spartan and was the acknowledged leader of Athens when the Peloponnesian War broke out in 432-1 and the early years of conflict. His Funeral Speech, as recorded by Thucydides, gives a good indication of the influence of his rhetoric and is propagandist. It also strongly afirms the Athenians' imperialist philosophy as well as justifying it. Before his death, he is recorded as counselling the Athenians against arrogance and overextending their empire and warns the people/demos against irresponsible leadership and recklessness. He died as a result of the plague c. 428-7 and his loss robbed the Athenians of his more moderate guidance. A new type of leader was to emerge after C. 425 (called "demagogues"-literally "shit-stirrers") who ignored Pericles'
warnings and led Athens to ignominious defeat.

Some useful sources:
*Thucydides, A History of the Peloponnensian War
*Plutarch, Life of Pericles
*Meiggs, The Athenian Empire
*Jones, AHM, Athenian Democracy
*Kagan, Donald, anything about the Athenian Empire or Pel. War
*Hammond, NGL, A History of Ancient Greece
*Ehrenberg, Victor, From Solon to Socrates
*Bowra, A, Periclean Athens
*Lots of sites online. Tha Internet Ancient History Sourcebook is a must!! Great for all topics!

Contact me if you need more info.

Best wishes,
Magister

swammydee

HSC
Wow thanks!

Wow that is amazing info! I knew a lot of bits and pieces but now you have completely put it all together for me.. Thanks a bunch!

.:¿:.

HSC
Hi Sammy,

"I knew a lot of bits and pieces but now you have completely put it all together for me.. " - I hope this means that you would have done the first part of your assesment and bring it in the next time you come into your ancient history class with your own WORK. So that means that you understand everything and can help your fellow classmates with your work finished, CONGRATULATIONS :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)