Past Ext 2 Poems... (1 Viewer)

dreamer7

HSC
Hello all,

I am doing poetry next year for my major work, and I was just wondering if anyone who has done Ext 2 in previous years would mind sharing some of their work (along with the mark they got) so I can get an idea of the standard I should reach.

Don't worry about plagiarism - it would be pretty stupid of me to steal ideas from people who have done major works before. And I already know what I'm doing.

This would be really helpful!

Thanks,
dreamer7

shimmy&shine

HSC
What do you plan to do? I can't believe already you next lot are ready to start your major works! Good luck for the whole process, it's very rewarding and make the most of it.

The best things to do is to visit the 'Major Works' thread in BOS ee2 forums. http://community.boredofstudies.org/608/major-works/
I believe it is divided up into years. Make a look out for 'What shall we do Tomorrow?' by Super_katie. It's fantastic and it got 50/50. Another major work I liked was 'fusions'. There is a range of standards, so be open-minded.
Try this link
http://ashlee.8k.com/shadowsfalling/
and visit her guestbook. no offence intended, but learn from her mistakes. That is be weary of people's praise. It's all well-intentioned, but it can make you too complacent etc. One should seek harsh criticism, continually.

Another thing to do is to read all the showcases form the past years. They are anthologies of the absolute best of the best (or best suited to the anthology) that recieved 50/50. They are there to present the standards of the best. So other can aspire towards them. My favourites are 'Hawk from a Handsaw' and 'Paper SKin'. And from last years 'Young Writers Showcase 2005', 'Poetry-Shaped Photographs'. Your school or library would most likely have these, otherwise maybe you can order them.

And the other thing is to visit boardofstudies.com and go to their Assessment Resource Centre, and click on the 'Standard Packages' link. Then click on ee2, and you can read major works that got the lowest band up to the hightest. It instills a lot of confidence after read band 1 major works, lol.

But the bottom line is that although you can develop as a poet and writer throughout the HSC year, you should hold some degree of innate talent, which I'm sure you have. A love for words, and a passion to write. Its a different path for everyone, but it is hard work. And also, you may want to attend poety events, festivals, etc. They are always good.

After reading all the past major works, broaden yourself by reading quality published poetry. And find, maintain or develop your own voice. Never ever go "oh, i must write like this to get 50/50."

You wanted to know what standard to reach, but honestly just do your best. keep reaching high. high above the A-range. I'm not saying have high-expectation, but keep trying to reach your potential.

Lastly, enjoy! Keep it fun and real and then you'll finish ee2 with a smile on your face! :)

broken_jukebox

HSC
shimmy&shine said:
What do you plan to do? I can't believe already you next lot are ready to start your major works! Good luck for the whole process, it's very rewarding and make the most of it.

The best things to do is to visit the 'Major Works' thread in BOS ee2 forums. http://community.boredofstudies.org/608/major-works/
I believe it is divided up into years. Make a look out for 'What shall we do Tomorrow?' by Super_katie. It's fantastic and it got 50/50. Another major work I liked was 'fusions'. There is a range of standards, so be open-minded.
Try this link
http://ashlee.8k.com/shadowsfalling/
and visit her guestbook. no offence intended, but learn from her mistakes. That is be weary of people's praise. It's all well-intentioned, but it can make you too complacent etc. One should seek harsh criticism, continually.

Another thing to do is to read all the showcases form the past years. They are anthologies of the absolute best of the best (or best suited to the anthology) that recieved 50/50. They are there to present the standards of the best. So other can aspire towards them. My favourites are 'Hawk from a Handsaw' and 'Paper SKin'. And from last years 'Young Writers Showcase 2005', 'Poetry-Shaped Photographs'. Your school or library would most likely have these, otherwise maybe you can order them.

And the other thing is to visit boardofstudies.com and go to their Assessment Resource Centre, and click on the 'Standard Packages' link. Then click on ee2, and you can read major works that got the lowest band up to the hightest. It instills a lot of confidence after read band 1 major works, lol.

But the bottom line is that although you can develop as a poet and writer throughout the HSC year, you should hold some degree of innate talent, which I'm sure you have. A love for words, and a passion to write. Its a different path for everyone, but it is hard work. And also, you may want to attend poety events, festivals, etc. They are always good.

After reading all the past major works, broaden yourself by reading quality published poetry. And find, maintain or develop your own voice. Never ever go "oh, i must write like this to get 50/50."

You wanted to know what standard to reach, but honestly just do your best. keep reaching high. high above the A-range. I'm not saying have high-expectation, but keep trying to reach your potential.

Lastly, enjoy! Keep it fun and real and then you'll finish ee2 with a smile on your face! :)

GOOD JOB SUMMING IT UP! EXCELLENT STATEMENTS & ADVICE! BRAVO. hey you don't like my poetry??? dont worry i dont like it either!

shimmy&shine

HSC
broken_jukebox said:
GOOD JOB SUMMING IT UP! EXCELLENT STATEMENTS & ADVICE! BRAVO. hey you don't like my poetry??? dont worry i dont like it either!
Aaaww, thanks.

I liked all the poetry in all the showcases, except maybe two. There are a few things I didn't like about 'Storm in a Teacup' (plus it has a very unoriginal title) and also 'Scattered Peas'. Not because they are bad. Definitely not. They present excellent standards and control, but they just don't suit my taste. And as it is generally known, poetry is notorious for its subjectivity. Everyone has different tastes, etc.

Which is what I'm not comfortable about. There has to be a stricter criteria with poetry, yet also depth to make room for more inoovative types? There is such a high chance for one person to go 'i hate it' and another to say 'i love it'.

Like I have this poem called 'Pursuit'. With the first draft, one ee2 teacher (also head of english) said 'scrap it', and then my ee2 teacher said 'fix it up a little', and an editor said 'perfect, well-controlled, excellent!'. So what am i supposed to do?

But then I guess it's also fun, and part of the process.But how bad would it be if you tried to be really innovative and got a really bad mark.

Anyways, Jukebox I like your poetry a lot. Your 'Dewey Decimal System' made me go, 'oh my god, why didn't I think of that?!' hehe, it was very clever.

dreamer7, I advise that if you are going to choose poetry, to get a strong motif or theme to cohere what you are saying. For example, Jukebox did the Library system, to give purpose to his poems and really enhance his meanings, I'm using the tramsformations of the Moon (layering the aspect of the Moon Goddess, from Waxing to Full to Waning, etc) that pretty much threads my whole suite together, 'storm in a teacup' used ages like 'one year old, two years old, three years old...', 666_Blessings used the concept of 'Ages', lottox is using (i've kinda forgot but something on the lines of) Dante's inferno (was that it?) and using that as a platform for his poems, 'Hawk from a Handsaw' used a couple's relationship development, etc. sorry for the extensive example's, but to get my point crossed over amply, it's no use just having a 'concept' it's the way we employ other devices to make this 'concept' work.

I remember at a ee2 study day thing at ruse, the teacher said how effective it was to do do it along the lines presented above, because not only does it achieve textual integrity to another level, you also simultaneously achieve coherence within the suite, fluidity in meanings, but also you achieve the course outcomes! Go look at them for yourself on the syllabus.

On a final note, prepare yourself with your major work by reading all the HSC ee2 marking centre notes for each year (although they practically mirror each other) and read all the strengths and weaknesses of the poetry major works. Avoid all the weaknesses (logically, of course).

And ta-da, hopefully you'll end up with a fabulous poetry major work!

broken_jukebox

HSC
Wow, thanks for ur great compliments... you can add me on msn maverick_matthew@hotmail.com if u need any questions. truly getting in to showcase in entirely upon bluff chance, one of the choosers j. turner was one of temp. extra my english teachers!!! but u sound confident, which is good, not bad!!! best luck on ur poetry its almost due. i understand the whole insecurity of pple stealing ur work/ideas but if u want to send me it to check on it then sure. most important thingy is ur RS... it can make up 20marks... turn a 45-into a 50/50 or a 48 into a 50!!! but generally good poetry people will like it as there are literary qualities that cant be refuted. similarly, bad poetry will always be bad, emo-wrecked... ones-- though they may be read well by ya know punkbad lovers... um... dunno any punk bands ??? 'green day, i guess, ??? they will be read as shit... yeh with the lyrics poem, that was an experiment on eecummings, and i was running out of time and ideas and talent so i just put it in there. my eng teacher said it was boring, emo, but this othe rteacher liked it, so i put it in... though i tried to take away all emo teen angsty shit, only left single man cus it was one of the 1str poems i wrote, actually 2nd! i wish 2 take it away but oh well cant do it now. best luck for ur trials and hsc... in RS--- make sure u explain... dont just fucking imply... they hate it the markers that is!!!! EXPLAIN, ELLABORATE DO NOT EXPLORE, and dont take the easy route by using all unexplained, unjustified buzz words and 'exploration of human condition' like WTF... after u do 1 semester of uni english, sociology/ arts-(no-job) subs in uni u r like 100 times more prepared for ext. 2.

i like ur moon theme - try find sum pictures of the moon!!!! for each poem. it will look excellent in showcase bk 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like moon phases!!! i dunno go 2 ur science dept.!!!

shimmy&shine

HSC
thanks jukebox! I've already got the image of the moon in each phases next to my Moon poems, and it looks quite pretty nice, lol.

Don't think I'm confident with my major work though, I hope I don't give out that impression. I'm happy with it however, and it will recieve the mark that it deserves to have. Which is hopefully high!

shimmy&shine

HSC
LottoX said:
Well at least you'll be on the Bored Showcase...hopefully...
haha, well at least I have a chance of being on there at all.

(lol that was the worst comeback ever! I'm going to edit this post when I think of a good one!)

shimmy&shine

HSC
hehe, yeah I was actually thinking that as well. Was that supposed to be mean at all?

Should I submit my work to the Boredof studies? Maybe....
Will you lottox?

shimmy&shine

HSC
I'm already guessing that it will be fantastic! 'The Pure', are you still with that title? Do you hold any feelings of uncertainty with it?

shimmy&shine

HSC
I'm sure that your poetry is absolutely fine. You sound confident with it. And if it's anything like Paper Sklin, expect a very good mark!

Though, Some of my poems are a bit elusive, because when a person who knows Sylvia Plath, compared to someone who doesn't know Plath reads it, the effect will be highly different. I'm sure if someone who loves Plath reads my work they'll be like - yay! and someone what hates her would be like - I can't believe I had to suffer through this!lol. (hope it's not like that, and the person who reads my work enjoys Plath).

Don't be scared, plus it's too late now, kind of. And I know you know your poetry doesn't suck, just aslong as it communicates the message you state in your RS. The reason Paper skin worked, was because of the 'apartment levels' (genius!), so what's your take on that aspect?

shimmy&shine

HSC
LottoX said:
Well, I was using another aspect of The Divine Comedy being "Purgatorio", which Dante ascends to gain entry into "Paradisio".

I inverted this image by placing my levels of Purgatory in reverse, and thus, show that society is not becoming pure, but heading toward Hell.

I also parallel this image with the famour fresco "The Creation of Adam" to show that man will forever be disconnected with God, always a wisp away from enlightenment.
omg, that just went straight over the top of my head...

nah, I'm kidding, that's a really intellectual response to Dante's Purgatorio. I love 'reaction' poetry and responding to other's works because it gives a whole new dimension and definition to it. It just shows that many people think outside the square and don't just close a book and go 'hmph'.

dreamer7

HSC
Thanks for all your suggestions.

I've already started my major work (or at least have a concept), which is quite fortunate, as it means I'm already ahead of most of my peers, who think Ext 2 is going to be 'easy' and thus have not even begun to think of their major work. I just hope it all works out and I don't have to change my concept completely...

Wow, year 12 in 5 weeks. How exciting, and scary. At least I can say I'm looking forward to completing one of my HSC courses!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)