P&P Please Read! (1 Viewer)

Fungrys

*lookin for wgong maccas*
HSC
Hey I was wonderin if someone could help me with this...

I got to try and identify some 20th century values represented in a 19th century setting, in the Pride and Prejudice miniseries...

So far I havent got much, except things about women's rights etc.

Im hoping to disagree with the topic, as I cant really see any values in it...

Help please :D

:chainsaw:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
The values that Lizzy holds are very much 20th century. For example, her feminism, the way in which she detests the autocratic system of aristocratic control (think about struggles for democracy in the 20th century... Lizzy disagrees with the lack of democracy in her society)... my brain is not working very well at the moment... but Lizzy is a more modern woman than most of the other females of her time. Think about Lizzy's values and how they are similar to those of a 20th century paradigm.

s2ophie

HSC
um the first one i thought of is the prevalence of patriarchy. Think of today how women make up only a small percentage of CEO's and feature little in politics. This could be seen as the patriarchal systems and values of the C19th still existing in the 20th century where women still lack the autonomy of men.

Fungrys

*lookin for wgong maccas*
HSC
Great thanks for all your help, I'll be sure to come here whenever I need a hand ;)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
also think of how it relates to us... women today can identify with lizzie cuz she represents values of gender equality... maybe more so than austen's audience>? but that's compromised by lizzie's common sense, and the fact that she does eventually conform to her society's attitudes by marrying the wealthy darcy.

jaffa

you could also explore that way that honesty (or the lack there of) affects the characters and controls the story-line.

just a thought

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)