OTEN Students? (1 Viewer)

CrimsonMoon22

HSC
I've just started studying with OTEN (Cert 3 In Childrens Services) and im wondering if there are any oten students on here.

The only way to connect with other students seems to be facebook, which i dont have or wikispaces, but im not liking that alot to be honest.

So yeh, theres gotta be at least one person here!

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i'm doing OTEN - cert 4 in Frontline Management. I started a month ago. Hoping to get it finished by July so I can start a uni course by Distance in second semester.

There don't seem to be wikispaces for any of my subjects so far - in fact, not a lot of online resources full stop. And this TAFE forum isn't very active.

but hurrah for finding another TAFE student, and an OTEN one at that!

CrimsonMoon22

HSC
No kidding ay, their online resources are crap. Very frusterating when you're just starting out like i am and could do with some communication from other students.

I really wish they had some sort of forum or chat set up on the OTEN website, theres a wikispace for childcare, but doesnt look like anyone really uses it.

And indeed the Tafe section of these forums is very quiet.

But yeh im very happy to find a fellow OTEN person, i wasnt sure i would be able to!

Last edited:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
apparently there's lots of OTEN students out there... maybe they're just too busy (or too diligent) to procrastinate on BOS.

Have you studied before? I did a uni degree, so i'm finding the TAFE stuff pretty light (except one of the assignments which is a real shit and I've been putting it off for nearly a month now).

I think it'd be very hard to do it from home if you haven't studied before though, Its nice to have face-to-face support.

CrimsonMoon22

HSC
This is my first course, but i did the last 2 and a half years of high school via Distance Education so i am used to studying on my own.

The difference is that with Distance Ed they had forums and chat rooms on the website where you could communicate with other students, which helped at times.

They also had specific times on the chat rooms where teachers would discuss certain topics etc that we were studying.

It seems alot of the people with OTEN have kids or are working or doing other things as well, so yeh they probably dont have a hell of alot of time.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I was an OTEN student in 2005, then I transferred to TAFE to finish. I needed that face to face support back then. The online facilities were bad back then too, I never communicated with another student, and only got feedback from a teacher whenever I handed assignments in. The course notes are very detailed and well written though, when I transferred to TAFE the teachers often used OTEN notes!

I just finished another distance course, but it was combined with a work traineeship so that helped a lot. I have a lot of respect for those who can study through distance.

Best of luck finding more current students.

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
apparently there's lots of OTEN students out there... maybe they're just too busy (or too diligent) to procrastinate on BOS.

Have you studied before? I did a uni degree, so i'm finding the TAFE stuff pretty light (except one of the assignments which is a real shit and I've been putting it off for nearly a month now).

I think it'd be very hard to do it from home if you haven't studied before though, Its nice to have face-to-face support.
LOLL, i did OTEN. Business Admin, but they kinda fucked me over.

i'm quitting. goodluck everyone :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)