Oscar Race 2004 (1 Viewer)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Well I'm sure most of you know the nominees for the main categories this year by now but in case you don't, here they are for you again. No charge for the extra ramblings by moi.

Best Picture:

Million Dollar Baby- Clint Eastwood
Sideways- Alexander Payne
The Aviator- Martin Scorsese
Ray- Taylor Hackford
Finding Neverland- Marc Forster

Forget Ray and Finding Neverland. The only 3 movies that stand a chance in this category are MDB, Sideays and The Aviator. I haven't seen The Aviator[/] just yet, but after [Sideways] and [Million Dollar Baby], I'd have to say that the only chance it's got is if the Academy somehow awards Scorsese for past efforts. I've still got high expectations of The Aviator, but it's a tough ask for it to eclipse either one of MDB or Sideways. If it does though, I think we'd have arguably the best year for cinema since 1994 (Pulp Fiction, Clerks, The Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, Leon the Professional, Red, Natural Born Killers, Quiz Show, Hoop Dreams, Chungking Express.. and more :p).

Performance by an actor in a leading role

Don Cheadle in “Hotel Rwanda”
Johnny Depp in “Finding Neverland”
Leonardo DiCaprio in “The Aviator”
Clint Eastwood in “Million Dollar Baby”
Jamie Foxx in “Ray”

Good as "Million Dollar Baby" was, I didn't think Clint's performance was quite Oscar worthy. Neither for that matter was JD's excellent J M Barrie. I haven't seen "Hotel Rwanda", or "The Aviator",but I'm thinking DiCaprio's got the best chance along with Clint to come up with what would be the biggest upset by beating Foxx's Ray Charles.

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

Alan Alda in “The Aviator”
Thomas Haden Church in “Sideways”
Jamie Foxx in “Collateral”
Morgan Freeman in “Million Dollar Baby”
Clive Owen in “Closer”

I'm picking Clive Owen to edge Thomas Haden Church here, but I'd love Church to win.

Performance by an actress in a leading role

Annette Bening in “Being Julia”
Catalina Sandino Moreno in “Maria Full of Grace”
Imelda Staunton in “Vera Drake”
Hilary Swank in “Million Dollar Baby”
Kate Winslet in “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”

Surprisingly I've seen all of these, and they were mostly terrific. IMO though, Swank's as heavy a favourite here as Foxx is for Ray. It's so good a perforamnce that it would not be going too far at all to say that the rest are there to make up the numbers.. particularly Bening. Staunton's is the dark mare here.

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

Cate Blanchett in “The Aviator”
Laura Linney in “Kinsey”
Virginia Madsen in “Sideways”
Sophie Okonedo in “Hotel Rwanda”
Natalie Portman in “Closer”

From what I've seen, it's a dead heat between Natalie Portman and Virginia Madsen, although the preliminary awards seem to have been shared between Portman and Blanchett. Meh. I love Natalie so I hope she wins.

Achievement in directing

“The Aviator” (Miramax, Initial Entertainment Group and Warner Bros.)
Martin Scorsese
“Million Dollar Baby” (Warner Bros.) Clint Eastwood
“Ray” (Universal) Taylor Hackford
“Sideways” (Fox Searchlight/20th Century Fox) Alexander Payne
“Vera Drake” (Fine Line Features, Alain Sarde and UK Film Council in association with Inside Track Films) Mike Leigh

At the moment I'm tornbetween Eastwood and Payne, but if there's any justice in this world Scorsese will win. If for no other reason than that he's been ignored so many times in the past.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
I say throw all the awards you can at "Sideways" and "Eternal Sunshine ..." since they were the only strikingly original films to come out of Hollywood last year that I saw.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'm rather doubtful that Eternal Sunshine will win anything but best original screenplay.. twas good, but Sideways and MDB were too strong.

HSC
eternal sunshine pissed me off more than any other movie i've ever seen - not that it was necessarily bad, but it was specifically an oscar-wanking movie. as in the entire movie was just trying so hard to be something 'deep' that would make all the oscar voters love it. just came off as really contrived for me.

as much as the teenybopper in me would love leonardo dicaprio to win best actor, jamie foxx was SO good.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Ill go on a limb and guess you didnt like American Beauty?

HSC
that wasn't AS bad, but no i didn't. i don't have anything against 'arty' movies, just ones that try too hard.

spell check

HSC
katietheskatie said:
eternal sunshine pissed me off more than any other movie i've ever seen - not that it was necessarily bad, but it was specifically an oscar-wanking movie. as in the entire movie was just trying so hard to be something 'deep' that would make all the oscar voters love it. just came off as really contrived for me.
what the fuck

it was like the opposite of that

spiny norman

HSC
jim_green said:
If it does though, I think we'd have arguably the best year for cinema since 1994 (Pulp Fiction, Clerks, The Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, Leon the Professional, Red, Natural Born Killers, Quiz Show, Hoop Dreams, Chungking Express.. and more :p).
You're crazy! 2004 was a horrid year for film. 1994 was great (though I think 1999 was better), but to say that 2004 was anything near the best?? The big "can't go wrong" films sucked, except Spider-Man 2 and Kill Bill 2. I think it's great that the more understated films such as Eternal Sunshine, Garden State and Sideways have found themselves to be so good, but I would say I'm massively disappointed in 2004 filmwise.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
spiny norman said:
You're crazy! 2004 was a horrid year for film. 1994 was great (though I think 1999 was better), but to say that 2004 was anything near the best?? The big "can't go wrong" films sucked, except Spider-Man 2 and Kill Bill 2. I think it's great that the more understated films such as Eternal Sunshine, Garden State and Sideways have found themselves to be so good, but I would say I'm massively disappointed in 2004 filmwise.
I agree on the 99 front - there were a lot of great films that year (and albums for that matter). I hated the Matrix, but I thought films like The Cider Houes Rules, Fight Club, American Beauty, Xiu Xiu and a whole bunch of other ones I cant think of off the top of my head were real winners.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
I believe that Eternal Sunshine should get every oscar it was nominated for. It wasn't an oscar-driven-movie. I mean, for Christs sake, it was written by Kaufman. It's a beautiful extrapolate of the human mind, its gorgeous with GREAT EDITING!

Best Actress
Hilary Swank. She got it for Boys Don't Cry, but I think a win for Million $ Baby would be more worthy, cause this time round, I think she REALLY worked for it. Interesting to note that Hilary was only paid $3000 for Boys Don't Cry.

Best Actor
Clint's performance in Million $ Baby didn't half convince me at all. So, Jamie Foxx would be a great win. I haven't seen The Aviator but by george, I hate the previews I've seen. It looks all so mediocre and 'run of the mill'.

Best Supporting Actor
Gosh, Clive Owen blew me away in the difficult Stage to Screen adaptation, 'Closer'. Such a powerful guy. Please let him win.

Best Supporting Actress
The academy might want to give it to Portman...not sure why though. She wasn't amazing. But maybe the old guys at the academy liked her taking her clothes off.

Best Picture
Million Dollar Baby. I'll be seriously pissed if The Aviator gets it.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I don't think Sideways deserves best picture. It was good, but it wasn't *that* good.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
spiny norman said:
I'm thinking back through the most hyped movies of 2004, and I can only think of Alexander as the one big 'can't go wrong' film, and you're right, that sucked. Other than that though, the year's been packed with great little dark horses like Sideways, Garden State ,Million Dollar Baby (which nobody had even heard about until about a month after its very limited release in the States) and Kinsey. 99 was a good year though.. forgot about that one. 2003 wasn't great though, unless you were a LotR fanatic.

Anyway..top 10 for the year

1.Million Dollar Baby
2. Sideways
3. The Motorcycle Diaries
4. The Aviator
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
6. Collateral
7. Garden State- would've been 3, but the last 20 minutes was purile sentimental shite
8. A Very Long Engagement
9. Ray
10. The Incredibles

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)