Order of the topics (1 Viewer)

crysterial

HSC
This is a very general question for my own knowledge so I can prepare to return to school next week going into year 11, is there a specific order that the topics from any subject are taught in that way so each school is learning everything at the same time or is it up to the teachers like it is in junior years? Thanks.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I recall covering all English Standard modules, both in year 11 and year 12, in the order that is outlined in the syllabus. This means that the order of the modules in year 11 was Common Module → Module A → Module B and that in year 12 was Common Module → Module A → Module B → Module C. I personally doubt that schools would cover the modules in a different order (this should be similar for English Advanced), so perhaps you could have a look at the Common Module (including the main ideas/themes/issues that it emphasises) and, if known, explore the text(s) studied at your school for this module, which would familiarise you with it in advance, allowing you to analyse it more thoroughly and comfortably.

I believe that schools are more likely to teach the topics of other subjects in a different order. When I took Business Studies, we covered the Preliminary topics in the order outlined in the syllabus (i.e. Nature of business → Business management → Business planning). However, we covered the HSC topics in a different order to that outlined in the syllabus. Instead of starting with Operations, then Marketing, Finance and Human resources, we explored the HSC topics in this order: Finance → Marketing → Operations → Human resources. On the other hand, a student I tutored for Business Studies last year studied each topic according to the order outlined in the syllabus.

Of course, given that there is still a bit of time before you go back to school, it would also be a good idea to try to contact older/former students at your school and/or teachers to determine the exact order of topics taught at your school for each of the subjects that you will be taking.

I hope this helps! 😄

crysterial

HSC
I recall covering all English Standard modules, both in year 11 and year 12, in the order that is outlined in the syllabus. This means that the order of the modules in year 11 was Common Module → Module A → Module B and that in year 12 was Common Module → Module A → Module B → Module C. I personally doubt that schools would cover the modules in a different order (this should be similar for English Advanced), so perhaps you could have a look at the Common Module (including the main ideas/themes/issues that it emphasises) and, if known, explore the text(s) studied at your school for this module, which would familiarise you with it in advance, allowing you to analyse it more thoroughly and comfortably.

I believe that schools are more likely to teach the topics of other subjects in a different order. When I took Business Studies, we covered the Preliminary topics in the order outlined in the syllabus (i.e. Nature of business → Business management → Business planning). However, we covered the HSC topics in a different order to that outlined in the syllabus. Instead of starting with Operations, then Marketing, Finance and Human resources, we explored the HSC topics in this order: Finance → Marketing → Operations → Human resources. On the other hand, a student I tutored for Business Studies last year studied each topic according to the order outlined in the syllabus.

Of course, given that there is still a bit of time before you go back to school, it would also be a good idea to try to contact older/former students at your school and/or teachers to determine the exact order of topics taught at your school for each of the subjects that you will be taking.

I hope this helps! 😄

Thank you so greatly for this information. My school is rather new so unfortunately in this case I am the first year 11 class to go through otherwise absolutely I would seek other students that have completed it. Again this information has been very helpful to bring me closure to what to expect when it comes to the order of learning even if my school decides to do a different way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)