Ohh snap! (1 Viewer)

sweetcherry

HSC
Uni Grad
My first day of practicum is on Thursday, and I'm already shitting my pants.

I have absolutely no idea what I am supposed to do, and how I'm supposed to behave in a private school!!

I've been placed in Ormiston College (in Cleveland, east of Brisbane) - it's a private school and I'll be working with either Grades 2 or 3.

What am I supposed to know for my practicum?

EEEKK!

rific

HSC
I know it can cause a bit of anxiety, and the first time's always the hardest, so to speak.

Just remember to take some deep breaths, make sure you eat something through the day, and remember that you're there to learn. Teachers don't expect praccies to have all the answers, they know you're nervous, and they should be there to help you and support you.

Keep in mind that you can take it one day at a time. Don't count the minutes down by any means, but remember that at this stage in your education, it is still their teacher's responsibility for their education, not yours.

What you are supposed to know? That you are there to learn, to experience things, and definitely, to make mistakes. That sounds a little odd, but you will make mistakes, and all you have to know is that you should acknowledge them, and work at addressing them.

Don't worry too much about the private school thing, same as in any staffroom, there will be differing standards and personalities, you'll have to identify these and try to work with them as best you can, same as in any new environment.

I hope that helps, if you have any questions or anxiety, post back up and I'm sure others here, as well as myself, will do our best to keep you sane!

Anyway, that's about me done for now, best of luck!

p.s. 6th week of my internship now, so close!

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Hasn't your uni courses gone through things like how to behave, what you're supposed to know etc??

Newcastle has strict policies about dress standards and behaviour etc while on practicum that are drilled into students before they start....

rific: do you have to do the whole term on internship (11weeks) or just the normal 10 weeks??

sweetcherry

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks guys.

we just had a practicum debriefing session during the lecture this morning, and i've received my prac handbook, so yeah.

rific

HSC
PrincessSJ said:
Newcastle has strict policies about dress standards and behaviour etc while on practicum that are drilled into students before they start....

rific: do you have to do the whole term on internship (11weeks) or just the normal 10 weeks??
Strict policies? I musta missed that lecture, unless it's different between primary and secondary. We were told relative guidelines, but nothing concrete that I can remember.

10 weeks, because that's what has been worked out in the agreements between the schools and uni. I'd say I'll be floating around in week 11 though, I just won't be teaching. So only 4 and this week to go now. And to top it off, my new TRP proposal was just given ethics approval, things are finally falling into place.

sweetcherry

HSC
Uni Grad
yesterday was the first day of practicum and it went pretty well. the day turned out to be very interesting... this week is Book Week - the school had a parade, concert and a magic show. There was also "OC Express" - mini train - my class went on it, haha, got a lift back to the classroom!!

was so tired last night.

rific

HSC
Sounds like you're doing great!

About the tired thing, the old line is that if you are awake enough to go out on a Friday night during pracs and your first year or two of teaching, you're doing something wrong... not sure how true that is though.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
PrincessSJ said:

ahha, in our class we were told to make sure we covered the three Bs-bellies butts and boobs lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)