OEI: force between two parallel current carryning wires. Its due tommorow HELP (1 Viewer)

blackbunny

HSC
My task is to plan and design experiments to investigate the factors which affect the force between two parallel curent carrying wire, using the electricity and magnetism simulation cd.

Any way what you can do on that cd is change 3 variable. I1, I2 and r which is dastance between the wires.

I know that i need to do 4 experiments whith the last one to find the value of k in the equation F/l = KI1I2/r

I collected the data varing I1 and keepeing I2 at 1 amp and r at 1 meter. This is my first experiment, but i have no idea what is the aim.

For my second i varied I2 but kept r at 1 m and I1 at 1 amp, also i have no idea of the aim.

For my 3rd ex i varied r and kept I1 and I2 at 1 amp. When i looked at the results it looked like a hyperbola so i syspected that f is proportional to 1/r, and also i dont know the aim

To fing the value of k do ineed to look at my 3rd experiment and find the gradient of the graph which shows that f is proportional to 1/r, i dont need to look at 1st and 2nd experiments?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The aim for those three would be something similar to.

Aim: To find the affect on the force between two parallel current carrying wires when the current is altered in one wire and the distance is altered.

Do you know the force from the experiments or just know if there is a change in force? If you know the force the third one I would keep all variables at 1 and measure the force per unit length.

Otherwise I would need to know the capabilities of the CD, because to measure the force you could attach a spring to it and distort it (assuming you know the spring constant)

blackbunny

HSC
its a sumilation cd on a pc and i can only cnahge I1, I2 and r

blackbunny

HSC
for ex 1 i change the current to -2 amps and record the force and the current. Then I change the current to -1.8 amps and record the results, and do that all the way to 2 amps and record the results. Same thing for r i keep I1, I2 constant and vary r. so i should have about 20 readings for each of the experiments.

Also to find k in this equation F/l = kI1I2/r a need to find the gradient of the F proportional to 1/r graph. But students is school tell me you need to rearange the equation to make k the subject and then substitute 1 for I1, I2 and r and then i will have F/l = 2*10^-7 but i dont understand how its that value maybe its something with the simulation cd i missed

Simulation cd is a program wer u can carry out experiments virtually on a pc

blackbunny

HSC
also there is a discussion that is needed to be doen and its like 10 marks and i have no idea what to write

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
to find k, you need to make a graph, such that y = k x, where y and x can be any combination of the variables. the easiest 1 would be to keep I1 and I2 constant at 1A, vary r (hence x = 1/r). plot the dependant variable y=(F/l) on the y axis. draw a line of best fit and calculate gradient

for discussion, usuually u just talk about the validity and reliability of the experiment. ie. talk about how the procedure u used is applicable in finding the aim of the experiment, and mention possible errors and improvements

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)