Number of UAI applicants this year. (1 Viewer)

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
Someone told me yesterday that they heard from someone else that the amount of students who are applying for a UAI this year is less than the amount of people who applied last year.

Is this true?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Rayanaldo said:
Thats what i want to know. Would it be a good or bad thing if less people have applied this year?
not our scores. just the cutoffs for this year.

ie: some courses will drop from 90 to 87.9 for instance.

santaslayer

HSC
Rayanaldo said:
Thats what i want to know. Would it be a good or bad thing if less people have applied this year?
thatll depend on the course preferences...

itll still be quite similar IMO...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
IF less people are applying for a UAI, I doubt that it's the top students who are competing for courses like commerce/law/medicine, or even tier two courses who'll be dropping out.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Whether or not students apply for a UAI doesn't make any difference - they still have a rank, even if they're not told what it is.

If the rumour is true, it would obviously have no effect on UAIs or cut-offs.

j_davo24

HSC
Lazarus said:
Whether or not students apply for a UAI doesn't make any difference - they still have a rank, even if they're not told what it is.

What about the people who don't qualify for a UAI do they still get ranked?

If they don't, and theres more of them what does that mean for ranks and cut-offs?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Everyone who completed the School Certificate with you back in Year 10 gets ranked.

doingHSC

HSC
Lazarus said:

wouldn't it depend on the people who don't apply for uni...........If ppl with high UAI do not apply (which is mostly not the case) then the cut off will be the lower, where as if ppl wid low UAI will not effect the cut off.
eg. if all the ppl wid UAI above 70 do not apply for UNI (haha like to see that happen), then technically the medicine cut off will be 69.75% or wat ever it is. (assuming most of those ppl put medicine as there first preference)--that's how I thought it worked anyways

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
UAI cut offs are determined by a number of criteria...i mean they are not gonna let people with a UAI <70 do something like advanced maths, even if no one with a UAI >70 applies for uni

doingHSC

HSC
acmilan said:
UAI cut offs are determined by a number of criteria...i mean they are not gonna let people with a UAI <70 do something like advanced maths, even if no one with a UAI >70 applies for uni
if that's the case does that mean they won't take any one for high rated courses?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Well many high rate courses have pre-requisites and assumed knowledge and if you dont have that knowledge they cant teach you the course even if you are the only one that applied. If we are talking about courses with UAI >99 cutoff and the only people that applied had uai < 70 then they would not be able to cope with the work

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
doingHSC said:
wouldn't it depend on the people who don't apply for uni
Applying for a UAI is different to applying for a university place.

Obviously, if less people apply for uni there's going to be less demand. This could influence cut-offs.

But whether or not people apply for UAIs (i.e. whether or not they're told their rank) doesn't make a difference. I know a guy who applied for a well-regarded uni course - and was accepted - without him ever knowing his UAI. (He saw it as taking some kind of personal stance against the system... personally I don't think it achieved much.)

acmilan said:
This is correct. I believe many universities also have a general 'minimum cut-off', which is used in cases where there is insufficient demand for a course. I think this used to be around 60 or 65 at USYD - so if a specific cut-off dropped below that figure, the general cut-off would have overridden it.

Ultimately, it's up to the university to choose whether or not offers are made to students anyway. If there are no suitable candidates, then no offers will be made. I think this is fair.

SeDaTeD

HSC
I don't think you would have to worry about the people who did not continue to do the HSC.

j_davo24

HSC
If the entire "School Certificate Year" gets ranked. Does that mean everyone that has dropped out between then and now gets 0.00 for their UAI, since they didn't do any subjects to qualify?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
j_davo24 said:
If the entire "School Certificate Year" gets ranked. Does that mean everyone that has dropped out between then and now gets 0.00 for their UAI, since they didn't do any subjects to qualify?
Well no, they get around the 20's wouldn't they? I don't think you can get 0.00 as all the people who didn't complete the HSC would be bunched up in a "no score" section - All equal in rank (and much more than 40 people), implying their UAI would be above 0.00.

Laz?

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
So, all the people who sat for the School Certificate, and the people who applied for a limited UAI get ranked?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)