Nuclear Fission Reactions (1 Viewer)

pc_wizz

ρ s y c н o ρ α τ н ™
HSC
this is my assessment task ques:

"Nuclear fission reactions can be used to produce energy in reactors and in bombs. Compare the requirements for a controleed and uncontrolled nuclear fission reaction." ...

this is supposed to be presented to the class in a talk of approx 5min.

any ideas where to start ... ??

pcwizz

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I got a similar topic to do a talk about, but i had to focus more on the Manhattan project. Well you could start by talking about examples of elements that are fissile such as U-235 and P-239. Perhaps talk about what things are released in the process of fission. Maybe mention critical mass somewhere in there. And for controlled reactions talk about how only one neutron can cause another fission reaction to allow it to be controlled. Perhaps talk about how to control it eg. control rods. And for uncontrolled talk about how much more energy is released. Relate chain reactions to nuclear reactors and bombs and talk about what type is used in each (controlled/uncontrolled). Umm..thats about it i think

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Discuss how the different arrangement of the nuclear materials allows for a controlled/uncontrolled (chain reaction) reaction.

Neutron absorbers (D<sub>2</sub>O and Graphite) to slow down the reactions.

pc_wizz

ρ s y c н o ρ α τ н ™
HSC
cool ... thanx guys ...

btw ... this was a "pick out of the hat" type of assessment, where everyone had to choose a particular question from a hat ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)