Notes (1 Viewer)

Shazer2

HSC
When writing notes, what is preferable; written or typed?

Opinions.

madharris

HSC
N/A
If you have time written then typed
however, if they're last minute then do it typed

Shazer2

HSC
Well exam period is now, but I want them for future use too.

madharris

HSC
N/A
If it's during the exam period, don't write notes. Just do practice questions, writing notes will not get you anywhere

however, you won't really need to know prelim in HSC so you should just type your prelim notes if you really want to make them.

For HSC however you should write notes then type (unless you run out of time)

nexus_lad_69

Sikkest Lad in Livo
HSC
Uni Grad
Each one has its own advantage, e.g.:

Written notes:
- Allows better memory retention of information due to the writing process
- MAY improve the hand mechanic (better (legible) writing presentation, increased writing speed, etc.)

Typed Notes:
- You can go back and edit them.
- Better presentation

academical

HSC
I write out my notes by hand initially only because I'll have to write my answers in the exam anyway and it helps me to retain the information more effectively than just typing.

However, I type summaries and 'executive summaries' out on my laptop, and then print them for revision. This saves time because I've already written all the things I need to know out at least twice (from school and then in my notes at home) and can quickly revise over my summaries. Of course this is in conjunction with past-papers. Notes alone don't prepare you for an exam. You wouldn't just stretch in preparation for a running race - you'd practice running multiple times before hand (sorry for the really bad analogy haha:))

Everyone learns differently though, and really its not how you present the information that's the issue. The issue is whether you are learning from the way the information is presented to you. So have a go at doing both, and see which method suits you best:)

Sorry there's no black and white answer...from me at least haha...

Shazer2

HSC
That's true. I need to make my mind up sooner or later.

academical, that's what I want, is to retain information. There's no point wasting my time typing up notes if I'm not going to retain anything from doing so. Maybe hand-writing is the way to go. The other good thing is, I can continue to use the notes until the end of HSC whether they're typed or not.

P.S. I bombed out my 2nd English exam today. :(

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Handwriting takes ages. Type 'em up, I say.

deswa1

HSC
Depends on you personally. There is no definitive answer. Like for me personally, I'd go down the neither route and not write notes but use other peoples. This is what works for me. I'd probs recommend typing just because it saves time but you should try both and see which one helps you absorb the content better.

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
After typing notes myself throughout the year I think I can safely say that it is mostly a waste of time. Buy other people's notes (hey you can buy mine maybe! :p) and just learn form that. Whilst writing notes yourself can help, the amount it helps you is not proportional to the amount of time put into it. You'd be wiser to spend your time doing more useful things e.g. past questions.

That being said, if you retain information by writing notes then by all means do so.

iBibah

HSC
Depends on you personally. There is no definitive answer. Like for me personally, I'd go down the neither route and not write notes but use other peoples. This is what works for me. I'd probs recommend typing just because it saves time but you should try both and see which one helps you absorb the content better.
I was considering this for next year, just using other people's notes to broaden my understanding and write responses. Because I too found making my own did not have an impact worth the time spent, as said above.

onedaysnotice

HSC
typed. Writing takes too long and is too annoying to read and sift through. I retain information through typing just fine.

Last edited:

Shazer2

HSC
Well, I guess typing it is then. I will try and find what works best though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)