Not really that imp :P Does anyone know what the flame colour of mercury is??? (1 Viewer)

Excalibur

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the flame colour of mercury is??? I can't find any info (haven't really looked) but i would much appreciate any posts. P.s: i find it very ironic that mercury has been practically baned in schools yet it is in the HSC chemistry syllabus.

EDIT: Sorry everyone i forgot to mention it is part of the forensic science topic! The dot point is *identify data.......bla bla..................using flame tests.................and other stuff......describe the emission spectra of a range of elements inc. Na and Hg.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
no. and no. :(

as far as i know, the only flame colours we need to know are for barium (lime-green), calcium (brick-red) and copper (blue-green). i doubt they would ask anything beyond these tree.

further, as you know, mercury is damn poisonous. here's what i dug up:

"HEALTH HAZARD INFORMATION (for mercury vapour)

* Routes of Exposure
- Exposure to mercury vapor can occur through inhalation, and eye or skin contact.

2. Effects on Humans: Mercury vapor can cause effects in the central and peripheral nervous systems, lungs, kidneys, skin and eyes in humans. It is also mutagenic and affects the immune system [Hathaway et al. 1991; Clayton and Clayton 1981; Rom 1992]. Acute exposure to high concentrations of mercury vapor causes severe respiratory damage, while chronic exposure to lower levels is primarily associated with central nervous system damage [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Chronic exposure to mercury is also associated with behavioral changes and alterations in peripheral nervous system [ACGIH 1991]. Pulmonary effects of mercury vapor inhalation include diffuse interstitial pneumonitis with profuse fibrinous exudation [Gosselin 1984]. Glomerular dysfunction and proteinuria have been observed mercury exposed workers [ACGIH 1991]. Chronic mercury exposure can cause discoloration of the cornea and lens, eyelid tremor and, rarely, disturbances of vision and extraocular muscles [Grant 1986]. Delayed hypersensitivity reactions have been reported in individuals exposed to mercury vapor [Clayton and Clayton 1981]. Mercury vapor is reported to be mutagenic in humans, causing aneuploidy in lymphocytes of exposed workers [Hathaway et al. 1991].

* Signs and symptoms of exposure

1. Acute exposure: Acute inhalation of mercury vapor may result in toxicity similar to metal fume fever including chills, nausea, general malaise, tightness in the chest, chest pains, dyspnea, cough, stomatitis, gingivitis, salivation, and diarrhea [ACGIH 1991; Hathaway et al. 1991].

2. Chronic exposure: Chronic exposure to mercury may result in weakness, fatigue, anorexia, weight loss, and disturbance of gastrointestinal function. A tremor may develop beginning with the fingers, eyelids, and lips which may progress to generalized trembling of the entire body and violent chronic spasms of the extremities. Parallel with development of the tremors, behavioral and personality changes may develop including increased excitability, memory loss, insomnia, and depression. The skin may exhibit abnormal blushing, dermographia, excessive sweating and irregular macular rashes. Severe salivation and gingivitis is also characteristic of chronic toxicity [Hathaway et al. 1991; Gosselin 1984]. Another manifestation of chronic mercury exposure is characterized by apathy, anorexia, flush, fever, a nephrotic syndrome with albuminuria and generalized edema, diaphoresis, photophobia, insomnia and a pruritic and sometimes painful scaling or peeling of the skin of the hands and feet with bullous lesions [Gosselin 1984]."

not good eh?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
I was just wondering if anyone knows what the flame colour of mercury is??? I can't find any info (haven't really looked) but i would much appreciate any posts. P.s: i find it very ironic that mercury has been practically baned in schools yet it is in the HSC chemistry syllabus.
1. AFAIK it doesnt have a colour...the wavelength assosciated with electron orbital change is too low for the naked eye to detect
anyhows u dont need to worry yourself about it

2. just cos its banned doesnt mean that you cant study it...eg sodium metal is in the same category yet that doesnt mean we can't learn about its properties and effects...

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Originally posted by inasero
sodium metal is in the same category yet that doesnt mean we can't learn about its properties and effects...
hey hey hang on there...
we chucked a hunk of sodium into a metal water trough (outside) and watched the hydrogen gas ignite/blow up.. that was educational.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
mercury... the only thing i have laernt on that is the harmful effects. contamination of fish.

and frigid is right with the 3 flame colours we need to know

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
Good good, learn a bit more about mercury :D

Mercury

There are many =p

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hey hey hang on there...
we chucked a hunk of sodium into a metal water trough (outside) and watched the hydrogen gas ignite/blow up.. that was educational....
wow i envy your school....the most exciting experiment we ever did was to mash some starchy fruits and ferment with bakers yeast in a conical flask for a few days and drink if afterwards...

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
lolz wut a coincidence......
Yes yes... the appearance of "mercury" grabs my every attention :p

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by inasero
wow i envy your school....the most exciting experiment we ever did was to mash some starchy fruits and ferment with bakers yeast in a conical flask for a few days and drink if afterwards...
home made icecream > home made alcohol

or rather class-made whatever

and if you are in smoovy's class, u get to set fire to the science benches... (now u know why they all look like driftwood)

all the other teachers will prolly burn the whole school down if the y tried :D

inasero

Reborn
HSC
and if you are in smoovy's class, u get to set fire to the science benches... (now u know why they all look like driftwood)
thats nothing...i do that all the time out at the rifle range with metho lol....it has an 'invisible' flame for some reason

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)