no parental support! (1 Viewer)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
hey ppl
i have just started yr 12 n i did pretty well in yr 11. i got da higher achievement award. but my parents r not supportive at all! they keep saying dat i won't do well in yr 12 which then puts me down!:(
n they say dat if i don't do well then they won't let me study after yr12! they never encourage me!how can i cope with this???

pls help!:confused:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
aren't you the one that wants to do medicine? You must be pretty good if you think its a realistic goal for you, so I would just ignore the parents, it sounds like its their twisted little way of trying to push you and 'encourage' (I use the term loosely) you to do your best because I guess as parents they want to see you do well. The only way you can get around it is make them eat their words by blitzing everything. Easier said than done, I know, but if you show em you are doing your absolute best I'd tell them to shove it (in a nice way of course)

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Dont stress about it too much. Just try and ignore it when they say stuff like that. My mum is also like your parents, and Ive argued with her about her "encouragement". She says its 'contructive criticism' to 'help' me achieve better. I think your parents arent serious when they say they wont help pay for uni, theyre just trying to 'motivate' you to achieve better (in a bizzarely twisted form). But if like year 11 said, if you really do think that you can do medicine then you are definitely going to be able to get into uni easy, and then there are always scholarships:D If you need support just go to your friends. You'd be surprised how supportive they can be. That being said, Goodluck!:D

Christine

beige member
HSC
I'm lucky my parents were really supportive, i guess all you can do is prove them wrong or sit down with them and explain to them how they make you feel.

If its any consolation you have the support of most pple on the forums - youd be surprised how great some of the pple here are!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Christine is sooo right.
There are ppl here going through the exact smae things as you, and plenty more who have just done it and will testify that the HSC is survivable (just).
If you ever feel like throwing something through the wall (study notes, parents, assignments) just come here cos we probably know exactly how you are feeling and can help ya calm down. Think of it as a little family :) :) :)

jessika

law chicky
HSC
tell your parents to go shove it, and that when there old and lonely you wont go and visit them...or just drop out of school and bludge off them...

okay dont listen to me and my sarcasm, it wont help you.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by elizabethy
hey ppl
i have just started yr 12 n i did pretty well in yr 11. i got da higher achievement award. but my parents r not supportive at all! they keep saying dat i won't do well in yr 12 which then puts me down!:(
n they say dat if i don't do well then they won't let me study after yr12! they never encourage me!how can i cope with this???

pls help!:confused:
ah ... that happened to me ... for most of year 12 until i explained to them the harmful effects of discouragement ... but by that time i had already done my trials ...:(

edit: it slowly, but surely, crushes your level of confidence ... but thats after six years of discouragement ... one year should be withstandable ...

Christine

beige member
HSC
Originally posted by YEAR11
Christine is sooo right.

Think of it as a little family :) :) :)
and if u ever want to officially join 'our family' come join the massacre thread and become a part of PIG (wait jessikas the pr chick - why am i promoting pig?)

pri

HSC
N/A
my mother gives "contructive criticism" which really consists of "u havent achieved n e thing commendable at all, you know when I was in school ...blah blah.." and my dad encourages me, I reckon they cancell each other out

Rahul

Dead Member
parent's support is vital for us.

if u feel u r not getting wat u deserve u must tell them how u feel...most parents r not idiots(although some times........but thats another story:D) so if u have a talk to them it might help in fixing up d situation.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
My parents didn't help or support me during the HSC, but I don't think it made much difference. It all comes down to you-you can't rely on other people to come to your rescue or cheer you on. Yeah, it's annoying, but come on, it could be worse.

Noelle

My parents just don't do anything - to encourage or discourage
I doubt they even realise I've started the HSC, I know they don't know my subjects!
I get plenty of support from my sisters though and friends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)