Need to contact board of studies.....text book is wrong? (1 Viewer)

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
Hi, I was just reading the oxford "application and inquiry" text book at page 266.

I was reading about resistance training for children it states "maximum lifting should be
avoided because it can injure growth plates"

To my knowledge this is absolute rubbish.

Whats the difference from a kid bench pressing 80kg and a kid (that weighs 60kg) doing
BMX frestyle, long jump etc.?

from the equation:
F=MA
Force (n) = Mass (kg) X acceleration (m.s-1)

(I am to lazy to do the maths, its quite clear so just figure it out in your head)

the kid doing the BMX etc. is having more force exerted onto his bones etc. thus doing
more damage...

Here is a link to prove it:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?threadid=151548

Does anybody know how I can contact someone on the BOS so that I dont get marked
down in my HSC for acculy knowing the correct answer?

Last edited:

rolz

Dosnt matter about the board of studies if you explain what you mean in your answer clearly and use the equation then you cannot get marked down. You will probably get marked up as you would probably have made the marker think. Therefore showing that you have actually thought.
Another point is will we actually get a question on resistance training for children, i believe if we do get a question like that that it will be more general and more on how to create a resistance training plan to increase muscle size for a footballer.

You make an interesting point but did you think that the increase in muscle size created by the resistance training would put more strain on the growth plates than BMX riding etc.

Cuban

HSC
Yeh true im a member of that bodybuilding site
The idea that growth can be stunted by lifting heavy weights is wrong

Cuban

HSC
hmm yeh name one . . .
If your talking about Lee Priest, i agree he is small, but the majority of bodybuilders are around 5"10
The reasons they appear "nuggety" is because they have alot of mass, similarly if you look at taller people, some appear skinny, because they require alot more mass to seem proportional.

kkiinnggyyoo

Hey countrydude just check in the book... there should be some address or email telling u where u can find info. I personally don't think there will be anything about it in the exam.... it's a too small a subject in the whole syllabus to be really focusing on....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)