Need help in interpretation of this quote (1 Viewer)

jellybelly59

HSC
More then anything else, Romanticism is a celebration of the self; and, to the Romantic Composer, it was the expression of a personal experience that links one human being to another and all human beings to the larger truth"

ok what i really need help with is a translation on the bolded letters. I THINK i have an idea of what it means but i just need confirmation.

Celebration of the self : Proliferation of individualism and the expansion of the imagination and the notion of being unique?
Larger Truth: Mortality and the transience of life?

Please any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

jennieTalia

HSC
More then anything else, Romanticism is a celebration of the self; and, to the Romantic Composer, it was the expression of a personal experience that links one human being to another and all human beings to the larger truth"

ok what i really need help with is a translation on the bolded letters. I THINK i have an idea of what it means but i just need confirmation.

Celebration of the self : Proliferation of individualism and the expansion of the imagination and the notion of being unique?
Larger Truth: Mortality and the transience of life?

Please any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

I think you've hit the nail on the head with those interpretations.
However, the "celebration" of the self suggests not only what you have mentioned (which to me is more how the sense of self is in existance) but also how the individuality of the characters is not only recognised but lauded within romantic texts.

As for the larger truth. Hmmm. I would think that this is a little bit more general and broad than mortality and the transcience of life. But I think that, if you want to be specific, you have probably covered most of it!
x

jellybelly59

HSC
As for the larger truth. Hmmm. I would think that this is a little bit more general and broad than mortality and the transcience of life. But I think that, if you want to be specific, you have probably covered most of it!
x
sorry but i was wondering what you mean by a broader perspective on the 'larger truth'. Do you have a general definition for it?</SPAN>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)