NaOH Absorbs water from atmosphere (1 Viewer)

Phycisist

"NaOH absorbs water from the atmosphere and is dissolved in it"

Chem context 2 says something like this.

Dissolved in it?

But it didnt absorb water liquid it absorbed water gas(from atmosphere) so how can it dissolve in water(liquid)? Where does the liquid come from?

I was thinking a lot of the water(gas) molecules[Which are far apart in gas] come closer together when NaOH absorbs it.
IS THIS RIGHT?

Well is that absorption or adsorption?

Because absorption is when water is integrated into the chemical structure of NaOH isnt it?

To become NaOH . H2O or NaOH + H2O ???

A LOT OF CUNFUSION , PLZ CLEAR ALL.

I also have 1 problem in CONTACT PROCESS.

SO2+ O2 ---> S03 IN Converter but those non reacted SO2 AND O2 MOLECULES, do they also react with CONCENTRATED H2SO4 In absorption tower to form other products? (doesnt that cause problems?)

THANKS

Dangar

I'm not sure but I thought it NaOH was absorbed by water in the atmosphere when it rains. So it forms water in clouds (not quite sure on this) and then when it rains as it falls past the gas it reacts with it.

Sodium hydroxide is a strong base, so when it reacts with water it will dissociate completely, to form hydroxide ions. So it won't really be incorporated into its chemical structure, it just forms a solution.

From pathways:
Any unreacted sulfur dioxide from these operations is recycled back to the converter so that it can be passed over the catalyst bed again. This process reduces SO2 emissions and increases the overall conversion rate to SO3 to nearly 100% so it goes through the absorption tower and any SO2 left is just recycled

Last edited:

jims

HSC
what the hell part of the syllabus is this?

i didnt even know adsorption was a word.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
not sure ... i know NaOH is hygroscopic but whtehr deliquescent i dunnno... but if context says so then i guess it is... in this case it will just be NaOH(aq)since it is a solution

(hygroscopic - absorbs water
deliquescent - absorbs water and dissolves)

and this should b in the acidic environment topic, under the titration part, why NaOH cant b a standard

EDIT: they absorb water vapours not steam, as pure water is in gaseous state when it is over 100 degrees, which is clearly not the case

Last edited:

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
it's under titration

if you've ever done it in a prac, NaOH is a white powder like sustance. But if you leave it in open air, after a while it becomes somewhat like white piece of wax.

There is moisture in the air (depending on level of humidity). The powder will simply become dissolved in that moisture to for a solid blob over time.

A common question related to this the fact that you need to keep your NaOH dry before you measure the weight of your NaOH when doing titration. You can do this by heating the NaOH in an oven, and then cooling it in a dessicator(sp) jar (the jar is sealed and absorbs moisture).
Ask your teacher to show you in a prac. This point is a common question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)