Musings on coleridge (1 Viewer)

EpicFailGuy

Banned
HSC
So a little warning, I am a mathematics and science person, not an English person, so therefore I take no blame if the following doesn't make any sense, but it was a stream of conciousness thing. I wrote these thoughts on a piece of paper, and I would like my thesis along the lines of these thoughts, but I cant really pull it all together into one wammo statement (the thesis).

My thoughts on Coleridge

Journey- An act of going from one place to another (Australian Oxford)
However I need to "explore the concept of the journey by looking at all the possible meanings for the word journey". The above definition deals with the physical journey, however there are many facets to the concept of the journey. In advanced english we focus on the imaginative journey which is defined as the "mental faculty forming images or concepts of external objects not present to the senses". Then I realised, that a common misconception made by people about the imaginative journey is that it is all happy or positive. However this is proven wrong by the mere fact that people have nightmares? So basically the imaginative journey is uncontrollable when the subconcious mind is prominent, i.e. when your asleep. (I am getting lost in my own thoughts now sweet jesus I hope you guys can follow this). So basically getting to the crux of my thoughts, I was thinking that if many of the great writers (namely coleridge hey hey, relating it back to prescribed text) must have been able to balance their subconcious and concious minds, to such an extent that they could trancsced the physical barriers, and therefore undertake these amazing journeys, and yet still record them. I could also relate this sort of trance/balance of minds thingo back to when coleridge was writing the Ancient mariner and he got interrupted, then lost the plot, i.e. lost the balance and couldnt finish the epic poem.

Thoughts anyone? I'll understand if no one can be fucked reading all that! But hey worth a try.

:D ty

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
I think you are complicating it a bit with the dreams and uncontrollable things. Just keep it simple, that imaginative journeys are through the mind :p
Where we can then surpass physical barriers, thus learn about ourselves and our world. etc etc

BTW it was writing Kubla Khan when he was interrupted. The Rime of the Ancient Mariner was opium-free, it was one of his first poems that is before his addiction...hehe still remember that from 3 terms ago.

EpicFailGuy

Banned
HSC
ohhh okay that was fail by me :) Hmm so do you guys have any idea of how to contract all of that into a thesis?

rel91

HSC
ok i would put in the part about it transcending (and possibly overcoming) physical barriers (depending on your related and which poems you do)....
but seriously keep your overarching thesis quite simple coz it has to be able to apply to ALL of your texts, and then go into more depth in the concept of each separate text....
and also, our teacher said to have an overarching concept/thesis or whatever you want to call it of (definitely) less than 100 words, otherwise you are wasting words that you could be spending on analysis....
sorry i have problems with lexical density :p but hope that helps
GOOD LUCK!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)