More ozone questions (1 Viewer)

PopcornPixie

i throw popcorn at u! >:)
HSC
Hello, another stupid question from me. :)

Apparently ozone is polar.

but WHY!?!

O=O bond is not polar.
and O-O bond isnt polar either

i read a little on resonance forms
but then it says that the 2 bonds are identical... so there's no region of denser electrons or anything... o.0 is there?

R

randhi

i asked the advice line the same thing and they told me its not polar.

nit

HSC
Ozone is polar. Draw out its Lewis structure, and you'll notice the lone pair of electrons on the central oxygen atom. This gives the polarity, as electron density is greatly increased in the direction of the lone pair - ie there is a permanent dipole associated with the ozone molecule. The polarity has nothing to do with resonance forms - thats merely gives an understanding as to the nature of the bonds, but not the electron pair geometry. The ozone molecule is bent and you can think of the other vertex of the triangle as being occupied by the lone pair, which gives its polarity, as electron density differs in each direction.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Just to expand on what nit said:

The central atom is sharing with two other atoms, where as the other two are only sharing with one, they therefore have more electrons around them more of the time.

nit

HSC
Xayma, the polarity is a result of a lone pair on the central oxygen atom - each oxygen atom has 8 electrons around them, in accordance with the octet rule, and this means that the central oxygen atom must have a lone pair, given that there are basically "1.5 bonds" between the oxygen atoms (ie bond order of 1.5). The density of electrons around the central atom is not constant regardless of direction. Hence there is a dipole, and O3 is polar.

bobbie212

if u drew the electron dot diagram, u would also notice it is bent. doesnt this give it polarity as in water

nit

HSC
Yes, that's what we've been saying - draw the lewis structure, note the lone pair, and it must be polar.

za

HSC
dunno y ure going so much into depth
cant u just say its polar coz of its bent structure

"Non polar O2 does not form strong intermolecular forces inthe polar water. ozone has a bent structure, which provides for some polarity of the molecule in its reaction with water.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)